Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

fuel tank problem?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

fuel tank problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 12:31 PM
birdsoprey
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel tank problem?

Just installed new engine and tank on a kit plane. Problem is, when I put my thumb over the carb and turn the prop to prime, I can see the gas come thru the line, but then it just goes right back into the tank. I checked for leaks in the hoses and found none. I have only 2 lines coming out of the tank. One with a clunk going to the carb, the other one is towards the top of the tank, and is plumbed to the exhaust. Please advise. Many thanks ahead of time.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:08 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: fuel tank problem?

Raise the tank a little.

The fuel should not completely run back into the tank.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:18 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's not really a problem.

Once the engine is primed, it will start. Once it starts, it will suck that fuel right back into the line.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:58 PM
birdsoprey

Thanks for the fast response....when this is happening, I am trying to start it, but all the engine does is sputters like it wants to start, but still too much air in the lines. It never comes thru the line in a solid stream like I see it do in my other planes.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:31 PM
Live Wire

I will bet your high speed needle is way to rich. That will let fuel return to tank! After you get it ajusted it will be OK.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:38 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If it's in a place where you or someone else can do it and stay clear of the prop, hold a finger on the exhaust outlet while the engine is spun with a starter. It will send ALL the exhaust pressure to the tank, and you may see fuel spray from the carb throat, but the engine should catch, and if your needle settings are anywhere close, it will continue to run and pull fuel from the tank.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:25 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Origional Khodges:If it's in a place where you or someone else can do it and stay clear of the prop, hold a finger on the exhaust outlet while the engine is spun with a starter. It will send ALL the exhaust pressure to the tank, and you may see fuel spray from the carb throat, but the engine should catch, and if your needle settings are anywhere close, it will continue to run and pull fuel from the tank.
No offence but this is a terrible idea. If you do this there is a very strong possibility you will hydro-lock the moter and bend the con rod.

Darren
Old 12-26-2004, 08:14 PM
birdsoprey

BINGO!... The high speed needle did it, fuel comes straight up and doesn't siphon back.
Now...lol...what sort of adjustment should I use to start with, ie: I turned it clockwise all the way to close, backed it back out 2 1/2 turns and tried to prime the engine. Engined primed, but I haven't tried to start yet. How many turns open should I start with on a brand new engine. Oh, its an ASP .75 2cycle glow, no rings.
Thanks to all for getting me this far.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:47 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not familliar with ASP, but 2 1/2 turns sounds like a good starting place.

Prime it, flip it, and it should at least burn off the prime. If it starts and quits, it's either too rich or too lean, Turn the needle 1/2 turn in either direction, prime and flip again, If it runs a little longer, you're headed in the right direction, if it runs less, (Or won't start) you may be too rich, close the needle a bit.

By trial and error you're bound to get it going eventually.