Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Has anyone noticed this? - Retailers and manufacturers please chime in

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Has anyone noticed this? - Retailers and manufacturers please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 08:30 AM
grampi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone noticed this? - Retailers and manufacturers please chime in

As an R/C pilot for the better part of my life, a couple of years ago I decided I wanted to try something different. I decided to get into R/C cars.

I wanted a Traxxas T-Maxx, and apparently, so did everyone else. All the retailers were sold out and people on ebay were selling them for more than retail. I finally got lucky and found someone in this forum who was selling one for retail. I also needed to order a part for the Maxx, but every retailer I contacted was out of stock. I ended up backordering the part through Tower Hobbies. I finally canceled the backorder after a year and the part never did come in. I am experiencing similar problems with the Extreme Flight Mini 3D now.

These are just a couple of my experiences with R/C cars and the Mini 3D, but I know this sort of thing goes on with many planes, boats, helicopters, etc. as well. Kits, parts, and all sorts of R/C pariphials are constantly out of stock and on backorder. And the problem only seems to be getting worse.

Some may view this as just a minor annoyance, but to many (myself included) it's a major thorn in the side of the sport. People don't want to wait weeks or months to get a kit or those much needed parts. I can't think of one other industry where this problem is so prevalent. Why can't (or won't) manufacturers keep up with demand?
Old 01-10-2005, 01:07 PM
grampi

Default RE: Has anyone noticed this? - Retailers and manufacturers please chime in

Bump
Old 01-10-2005, 01:14 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Has anyone noticed this? - Retailers and manufacturers please chime in

I've had pretty good luck on back orders. Not instantly receiving thngs but never had to wait too long. Longest for a HiTec RX from Tower was two weeks. Canceled a fuel tank BO from Horizon after I checked the manufacturer's web site and found that they no longer made the tank. Not Horizon's fault.
My real gripe is the Mfg's who advertise a plane or part three months before production even begins.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:52 PM
grampi

My real gripe is the Mfg's who advertise a plane or part three months before production even begins.
[/quote]

Yeah, and then they only make half the units they need to meet demand. It's almost as if manufactuers know when they've got a hot item and they purposely keep the supply low to keep the prices high.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:00 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, but I've never had a problem getting things I want or have needed. Maybe you're just buying stuff that's too popular?
Dennis-
Old 01-10-2005, 08:18 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Never had much trouble with back orders for model airplane supplies and equipment, never had any interest in the cars, but this is a real problem with model railroading, which still is pretty much subject to the problems encountered by the garage or basement based manufacturers. Also, a problem the owner of one of our older LHS told me about is that many overseas manufacturers will produce a certain number of components to provide finished product and/or support parts, then will not produce any more until there are enough back orders to pay for another run.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:49 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I've also not really had a problem getting parts, but again it depends on what your trying to get... So far I've always got the parts I needed for my T-Maxx and I've had it since they first came out.. YS's seem a bit hard to find.... but then again the LHS has every one but the one I want..... (YS 63S which I don't think it out yet..)
Old 01-14-2005, 03:32 PM
rickygsg

i get all my tmaxx stuff from stormerhobbies.com. very rairly is anything backordered and they have a HUGE selection
Old 01-14-2005, 05:36 PM
grampi

The kit I'm looking for now is the Extreme Flight Mini 3D and every retailer is out of stock. One contacted me today tell let me know they probably won't be getting any more of these kits in until March. This exactly what I'm talking about.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:07 AM
CafeenMan

I agree with the original poster's sentiments for the most part. But it can be avoided if you do some research. When I was buying my first heli I scoured the web to find information.

There were about four .30 size helis I was interested in, but 3 of them had a lot of complaints about parts availability and cost of parts. I eliminated those choices.

My point being that before you buy something that is bound to need parts you should check around first and make sure you can get the parts so this kind of thing doesn't happen.

Obviously there can still be a problem if the company was well established and parts were easily available and then the company goes under. But then I figure most things have a useful service life and after that I'll be looking at a total replacement rather than repair parts.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:40 AM
grampi

ORIGINAL: CafeenMan

I agree with the original poster's sentiments for the most part. But it can be avoided if you do some research. When I was buying my first heli I scoured the web to find information.

There were about four .30 size helis I was interested in, but 3 of them had a lot of complaints about parts availability and cost of parts. I eliminated those choices.

My point being that before you buy something that is bound to need parts you should check around first and make sure you can get the parts so this kind of thing doesn't happen.

Obviously there can still be a problem if the company was well established and parts were easily available and then the company goes under. But then I figure most things have a useful service life and after that I'll be looking at a total replacement rather than repair parts.
Unfortunately, there aren't many planes to choose from in the size catagory of the Mini 3D. Of the few that are available, people have said overwelmingly that the Mini 3D is the best plane. I'm guessing the manufacturer underestimated just how popular this kit would be and simply under-produced. The problem though is this happens throughout the industry. A company will release a new product, popularity for the product skyrockets, and suddenly every unit that's been made is sold out and customers end up having to wait weeks, or even months for more availability. Sometimes shopping around isn't going to help alieviate this problem if you have a particular item in mind.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:12 AM
bentgear

Maybe its also the seller wanting to see how the final manufacturers product will hold up in the hands of the final end user. Everything they have worked with has been prototype till this point and changes may need to be made.

Ed M.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:26 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gee, there seems to be an endless supply of balsa, plywood, and glue. Ever think of just BUILDING something yourself?
Old 01-15-2005, 10:49 AM
grampi

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

Gee, there seems to be an endless supply of balsa, plywood, and glue. Ever think of just BUILDING something yourself?
I would gladly build one myself if I could get ahold of some plans to build something in this size range, and something that flies 3D as well as the Mini 3D does. I don't know of anything that fits that bill. Any suggestions?
Old 01-16-2005, 01:51 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Down in Aus this problem is all to common. Me and a few friends bought nitro hammers. One broke a rudder and another lost the hatch cover. Both these parts have been on back order with tower for months. The rudders have just come in and we got sick of waiting for the hatch so we made our own. We all also have seawind yachts. It is pretty much impossible to buy parts for these in Austrlian LHS's and our only option is to order from tower.
I wish people that sell this gear would keep parts in stock.