Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sig Smith Miniplane

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sig Smith Miniplane

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Calmo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Smith Miniplane

Hello; Has anyone out there built the Sig Smith Miniplane? I have just ordered one and I am trying to figure out which engine to put in it. I have a Saito .45 Special, the one with the high lift cam in it and it is supposed to put out a little more HP than the standard .45 and I also have a ASP .65 4 stroke but it weighs 21 oz. which I think might be a little too heavy. I found a sight where a guy had one with smoke system in it and he was flying it with a OS .52 4 stroke. Do you guys think that my Saito would fly it. The plane should weigh between 5 and 5 1/4 pounds. I would appreciate any comments you guys have. Thanks Cal.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:49 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sig Smith Miniplane

I have one and it flies very well (but with relatively modest vertical) using a TT 42 GP. I recently installed a MECOA .46 Tomcat, which in addition to giving more power, permitted removal of the lead ballast. Now things are more entertaining -- the plane performs very well in vertical flight, but there is very little change in level speed & no impact at all on stall/landing characteristics. Take-offs require a bit more care, as the extra oomph makes it a bit more squirrely if the throttle is opened abruptly.

I wouldn't put in any more power than it now has.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:50 PM
DamonTX

Here is mine with a O.S. .52 4 stroke. Your .45 should do the job but it might be a little mushy as mine is with a .52. I've got a second one my dad built many many years ago that I thought about overhauling and putting in a .50 SX which I believe is just what this plane needs.

Once you get it balanced correctly and figue out it's habits you'll surely have a blast with it. Even if it's not a aerobat it sure looks good flying around.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53351.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	214669  
Old 01-13-2005, 08:02 PM
CafeenMan

The .52 is a perfect engine for the plane. Lighten up the plywood cabane mount by cutting some holes in it. THe plane is over-built in some areas. You should be able to build it to under 5 lbs. I've built three of them and they were all good.

Don't put too much engine in it though. It will climb like crazy, but all the other flight characteristics will go down due to the weight. I wouldn't put the .65 four stroke in it. Too much weight.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:26 PM
kegg_jam

Hi,

I have one with the ASP 65 and it flys good and balances with just moving the battery back a little. I also own a Saito 45 (an older model) and I don't think it would fly the plane with too much authority. It would be ok for scale flying but not much more.

JK
Old 01-15-2005, 01:57 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

HI

if you have'nt bought it yet don't. I had one along with another club member and it is a terrible flyer. I would not waste my money on this one. if you want a good flying bipe try the ultimate, this one is a great flyer.
hog bipe is also very good and I think a better choice over mini-plane.

happy flying
pt19 flyer
Old 01-15-2005, 02:21 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: pt19 flyer
it is a terrible flyer.
First time I've ever heard this in regard to the MiniPlane. I've had 3 and know several others who have had it. Everybody loved it.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:35 PM
Calmo2

Thanks for all the replies! PT10Flyer--- I have already got the kit so there is no turning back now. I am going to try and mount the engine on a GP universal 40-60 engine mount that way if I find the Saito .45 Special is a little under powered I can widen the mount and put the ASP .65 four stoke on it. Thanks again for your replies and if anyone else out there has built the Sig Miniplane I would love to hear your comments about it and what engines you are using on it. Thanks Again. Cal.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:56 PM
J3FAN

Just in case : here is what I experienced with the SMP. It was built from one of the first kits to appear in this city but I was called in to do the test flight. This was probably around 1972. The builder claimed he had done everything "by the book:" I do not remember what engine was on it since I am quoting from 32 years ago.
I checked it all out, including balance , throws, etc ... all "by the book"
Full power at T/O got it airborne real quick. From that moment on it was a wild roller coaster ride. At full power it would climb almost vertical. Reducing the power pointed the plane down to the ground. There was almost no "in between" setting...either UP or DOWN.....juggling the throttle and the elevator I was able to put it down on the ground ( sparing the tale of ONE HELL OF A DIFFICULT FLIGHT ! ).....
The final result was that the top wing had NEGATIVE incidence and the lower had POSITIVE, with the stab at a slightly positive setting.
Once corrected the plane flew OK, then I lost track of it. I think it was SOLD
This may be useful to you. It really went that way
Old 01-16-2005, 12:15 AM
CafeenMan

J3Fan - I know what you're talking about. One guy I know who build the Mini had a similar problem. It would pitch wildly for no apparent reason. We found his incidence settings were way off. The top wing had positive and the low wing had negative. Once we got it where it should be the plane flew nicely.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:10 PM
optopilot

Calmo2; I bought a used Smith from a friend 11 yrs. ago because my son was just getting into aerobatic planes. We loved the way their plane flew with K&B 45 Sportster as it was moderately powered for vertical. We bought the airframe and radio an installed an OS 46 SF ( with 8 1/2 oz. in nose!) The power for this 5.75 lb. plane was outstanding giving unlimited vertical and the most beautiful full power very flat spins I have ever seen! There were some issues with the firewall/stab incidence resulting in some down trim required for level flight and requiring a compensating up when in knife edge. This plane was stable when needed and very aerobatic. This plane was stripped for recovering and corrections then stored 6yrs. ago when my son moved out of state. He's coming back from Kauai this week! I haven't seen him for 14 months; time for a little father/son bonding! Back to topic; a friend had a Smith his father built to perfection with an OS 40 FP that was 4.75 lbs. and a straight, true flyer though a little underpowered. IMHO your Smith will be a little underpowered with the Saito 45.

Flyin' in the Heart of the Valley; the San Joaquin Valley! Madera home of the Original Unlimited Races!
Old 01-17-2005, 12:57 PM
Calmo2

Thanks for the info guys. I am starting to get a little worried now about how this plane is going to fly. I got the Saito .45 Special from a guy and it was mounted in a 51" Unionville Tiger Moth that according to the manufacture was supposed to weight 5 1/2 to 6 lbs. and when I flew it it seemed to fly alright ( not overly powered) but alright. So I am hopping it will be alright in the Miniplane. Thank again guys for the info and if anyone else out there has built and flown this plane I would like to know what size engine you had in it and how it flew. Thanks Cal.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:07 PM
tomriddle
My Feedback: (3)

Calmo2,

Before I fed my SMP to a giant oak tree I flew it very happily with an 0S .41 - the plane is a builder's kit but if you take your time, I believe you will enjoy flying the result! My SMP flew wonderfully with no bad habits...plenty of excitement for all sorts of acro...mind you, I am not a 3D whiz by any stretch!

Some 'net reviews are out there...here is one: http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/Kit...s/SigMini.html There is a better one with lots of detailed instructions and photos but I couldn't find it again

Enjoy,

tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80812.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	220631  
Old 02-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Calmo2

Thanks for the reply Tom, If you happen to find the other site with the detailed instructions would you please let me know the web sight so I can have a look at it. I'd appreciate it. I just started to build it and it looks like it will be fun to build. I found a site called "Airfield Models.com" and he shows how he did the cabane struts on his Miniplane so between that and the Sig instructions I should be alright! Thanks again Cal.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:31 PM
tomriddle

Cal,

I SWEAR that this (Airfield Models.com) is the website I had found the detailed SMP instructions on...I just finished searching it again and I can only find the article you referenced...perhaps he reorganizesd his site.

No doubt by now you are well on your way to having a complete SMP - best of luck with it. I'm sure you are going to have a blast!

tom
Old 02-05-2005, 09:43 PM
CafeenMan

Tom - I don't have an article on the Smith Miniplane. Just the one on [link=http://airfieldmodels.com/information_source/how_to_articles_for_model_builders/construction/cabanes/index.htm]aligning the cabanes[/link]. I've only found one review of the plane on the net and it doesn't say a whole lot.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:44 PM
CafeenMan

PS. The review I'm talking about is linked in your previous post.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Calmo2

Thanks Cafeenman and Tom for your replies. I have just started the plane but I am not the fastest builder in the world, but I do enjoy building in the winter time cause our winters up here in the Rocky Mountains can be long and cold. I plan on lightening the plane as much as possible to try and keep it around 5 lbs. so my Saito .45 Special will fly it, and take my time when it comes to building the cabane struts and make sure the incidence are 0 degrees on both wings. Thanks again guys, Cal.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:54 PM
tomriddle

Cafeenman,

Thank you for writing and letting me know. Of course, that means I have to keep searching

I really like your site by the way. Thank you for hanging it out there for all of us...I especially like the disclaimer part - too bad some of the folks who engage in flame wars can't be made to take it to heart

If I find the "lost dutchman" SMP review, I'll be sure to put a post here.

tom
Old 02-07-2005, 11:47 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: tomriddle
I especially like the disclaimer part
I've thought about having T-shirts printed that say, "You are responsible for my behavior" since that's pretty much how the legal system seems to see it.