Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

New Sig Aerokote any good???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

New Sig Aerokote any good???

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New Sig Aerokote any good???

Anyone using the new Sig covering please give comments.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:23 PM
viflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Sig Aerokote any good???

I bought two rolls of the Aerokote Lite in Opaque White and transpaent green. Don't waste your money. A really poor quality product in all respects. Ultracote doesn't have to worry about competion from this stuff.

A total waste of my hard earned money. SIG should be ashamed to be selling a product that is this poor. In 6 months they won't be able to give it away! I hope!
Old 01-14-2005, 07:36 AM
CCRC1

I noticed that some of the SIG ARF planes are coming covered in their new Aerocote. I wasn't happy to see that, as most hobby shops don't carry it. If you need to make a repair I guess you will have to order it from SIG.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Steve

Thanks for the replies. Monokote it is.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:21 PM
viflyer

Hey Steve,

I switched from Monokote to Ultracote and I like it better. It shrinks out wrinkles far better than Monokote, doesn't sag at all once applied, and the adhesive is so good you can reposition with ease if you goof. It is color safe, i.e. if you pull it up to reposition the color stays on the material. You must be able to blow it around corners. Of couse it is different than Monokote and takes some getting used to, but I am not going back to Monokote. Give it a try. The transparents are crystal clear and really nice. I haven't tried the Ultracote Lite. Who knows, maybe it's the same stuff as the Aerokote Lite. I sure hope not, cause I am going to try some for a next project.

I am going to finish the plane I am covering with the Aerokote Lite. I don't like it at all but I can't bare to dump it. Ha!
Old 01-15-2005, 07:45 AM
viflyer

Well,

I did dump it!!!

Reasons:

1) Both the opaque and transparent lite want to stay rolled up. Really difficult to lay flat on work pieces.
Worse than any covering I have used. Need to put weights all around till it is tacked. Just amazing

2) Impossible to reposition the opaque without leaving the coloring on the piece of work. It just peals away from the plastic with the adhesive. Cheap stuff.

3) The adhesive on the transparent covering isn't clear. In open areas like wings, the adhesive gives the covering this oily film appearance. If you heat it with the blower, it clears for a minute as the adhesive melts, then returns to this oily haze when the adhesive dries. Makes the plane look terrible so I ripped it off.

SIG should be ashames of this stuff. Better they should give me back my money! Fat chance!!
Old 01-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Leprocope

Hello all,

I HATE PRODUCT BASHING BECAUSE OF LACK OF READING THE DIRECTIONS!!!
Sig has a great product here and anyone who flys electric and works with nelson lite or solite know what difficult covering jobs are all about. Sure this lighter product will be harder to work with and less durable as compared to ultracote or monocote. SIMPLE FACT THE ADHESION IS SO IMPRESSIVE IT THE BEST STICKING COVERING I HAVE WORKED WITH AND SHOWS LESS BUBBLES WHEN LAID OVER ITSELF. YES COLOR WILL PEEL OFF...

IF YOU DONT REHEAT THE COVERING TO 140 DEGREES BEFORE RE-LIFTING THE FILM...

AS STATED IN THE DIRECTIONS!!! I WILL ADD THE TEMPERATURE SETTING ON MY HEAT IRON READ 100 DEGREES DIFFERENT THAN WHAT INSTRUCTED. I ADJUSTED THE TEMP TILL THE PRODUCT WORKED AND TACKED WELL WITHOUT SHRINKING. BUT THIS COULD BE A PROBLEM WITH MY IRON. NEVER TEMPED THE SURFACE TO COMPARE THE SETTING.

THIS STUFF WILL SHRINK AROUND WHEELPANTS AND IS AN AWESOME PRODUCT WHEN COVERING BIGGER SIZE ELECTRICS. IT ADDS STRENGTH AND SAVES WEIGHT!!!

I AM CURRENTLY BUILDING AN EXTRA 3.25 ELECTRIC CONVERSION AND LOVE THIS STUFF CHECK OUT THE PICS. THE WHITE AND PURPLE ARE AEROCOTE LIGHT. TRIM IS NELSON LITE FILM.

PLEASE CHECK OUT THE DIRECTIONS BEFORE BASHING A PRODUCT ABOUT A PROBLEM YOU HAD. THIS IS THE ONLY COVERING THAT I KNOW THAT MUST BE REHEATED TO COME BACK UP. YOU REALLY SHOULDNT HAVE TO REPOSITION SOMETHING ANYWAYS. THAT SOUNDS LIKE A TECHNIQUE PROBLEM TO ME!!!

I HAVE NOT WORKED WITH TRANSPARENTS BUT I KNOW ITS COMMAND FOR PEOPLE USING BABY POWDER TO KEEP COVERING FROM STICKING TO ITSELF AND THAT ME WILL LEAVE A HAZE IN THE FILM. I WILL SURE LOOK AT THAT CLOSELY WHEN TRYING IT.

I AM ALSO BUILDING A SENIOR TELEMASTER AND PREDICT AN 8-10OZ WEIGHT SAVINGS USING THIS COVERING. HALF POUND CAN ADD UP EVEN ON A FUEL PLANE!!!

OH WELL, JUST AS MUCH MY OPINION AS YOURS BUT MAYBE YOU SHOULD FIND OUT WHY YOU HAD THESE PROBLEMS BEFORE YOU SAY IT SUCKS. COULD BE YOUR SKILLS OR TECHNIQUES ARE NOT UP TO PAR EITHER! SOME STUFF IS HARDER TO WORK WITH THAN OTHERS AND IF YOU DEAL WITH NELSON LITE ALL THE TIME, YOU'D THINK A MONKEY COULD COVER USING MONOKOTE. (LIKE ULTRACOTE BETTER THAN MONOKOTE, TOO.)

THIS LINE IS ORACOVERS BROTHER AND YOU DONT HERE BASHING ON IT. MOST OF THESE COVERINGS JUST HAVE DIFFERENT NAMES AND ARE THE SAME STUFF IN DIFFERENT WRAPPING.

THE ULTRACOTE LITE IS AWESOME TOO!

TAKE AS SAID WITH A GRAIN OF SALT BECAUSE I DONT KNOW WHAT I DOING!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85842.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	215499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72428.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	215500  
Old 01-15-2005, 12:31 PM
viflyer

I agree that all these products have their own techniques that take some getting used to and I am very clumsy and inept with my hands so this could be a problem. And you know, when I put on my bifocals, lo and behold the foggy appearance on the transparent Lite went away. Yup, I guess I spoke too soon about this glorious product.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:24 PM
viflyer

After my last tonque and cheek commment I hoped this thread would suffer a quick and painless death, however, I have decided to make one last comment in response to Leprocope.

I think that with enough time, patience and ingenuity you can make almost any poor product work, and that goes for airplane coverings. However, SIG has marketed this covering as a miracle of 21st. century technology. Easy and fun to apply. I can tell you from my brief experience, that it is not! And contrary to my last post, I am pretty good at this. Not obsessed, but pretty good. I guess that is what bothers me the most about this product!

With patience the opaque Lite is workable, and it does sort of come off with heat for repositioning. It is nice and Lite. The transparent has a manufacturing problem that can't be cured with skill and daring. Hold up some Aerokot Lite transparent to the light and compare to Ultracote. Ultracote is beautifully cystal clear. Aerokot is like looking through a fog. Heck, maybe I got a defective role, but I doubt it.

Finally, I would not want to put this product in the hands of a newcomwer to covering, that's for sure.

That's my last comment on this stuff.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Leprocope

NOW SIR,
THAT IS SO TRUE AND WELL PUT AND I APOLOGIZE IF I SEEMED HARSH BUT TO BE HONEST, I HAVE ONLY BEEN FLYING AND COVERING FOR A YEAR NOW. I BY NO MEANS AM I AN EXPERT ON THE SUBJECT OF COVERING. I WONT CONDONE BAD ADVERTISING AND WHY WE DECIDE TO BY SOMETHING. I FEEL THIS COVERING WILL PLAY AN IMPORTANT ROLE IN MODELING, IF ONLY FOR THE VAST COLOR SELECTION. ON THE TRANSPARENT SIDE, I HAVE NOT TRIED IT AND I THINK ULTRACOTE LIGHT IS HARD TO BEAT THERE ANYWAYS. I AM FAVORITE TO ONLY NELSON LITE AND SO-LITE FILM. MY ELECTRIC CONVERSION FUNTANA IS GETTING A NELSON LITE JOB! I THINK THE STRETCH TENSION STRENGTH IS NOT AS TIGHT AS WITH ULTRACOTE LIGHT BUT I HAVENT TURNED UP THE HEAT YET! ULTRACOTE IS ONLY TRANSPARENT FROM MY UNDERSTANDING SO FAR. THIS SIG AEROKOTE AND ORACOVER WILL FORCE A WIDER COLOR SELECTION ON THE MARKET FROM MORE COMPANIES. HECK I WISH THAT FROM NELSON OR SO-LITE BUT FOR NOW I STILL HAVE ONLY 9 COLORS OR SO TO USE. 32 COLORS OR SOMETHING IS WHAT THEY OFFER IN THE AEROCOTE LINE. I HAVE MORE THAN ONE PLANE WITH QUITE SIMILAR COLORS. I HAVE HEARD SO MANY GOOD THINGS ABOUT IT AND A GREAT REVIEW BY DAVID BARON OF FLY RC MAG. I HAD TO TRY IT AND LOVE THE FACT I HAVE A PLANE WITH PURPLE ON IT! IT HAS IS GOOD AND BAD POINTS JUST ALL PRODUCT DO! I FEEL IT WILL BE A POSITIVE IN OUR HOBBY ESPECIALLY FOR ELECTRICS, IN MORE THAN ONE WAY FOR ALL. I HEARD MONOCOTE IS THE EASIEST TO WORK WITH ESPECIALLY FOR BEGINNERS IN THE HOBBY AND WOULD RECOMMEND IT OR ULTRACOTE FOR A FIRST TIME TRY. I HATE TO HEAR ANY ONE HAVING BAD EXPERIENCES WITH ANY PRODUCT. I CAN AGREE THIS PRODUCT IS NOT AS USER FRIENDLY AS ULTRACOTE, BUT IS ALOT BETTER THAN NELSON TO WORK WITH. I HAD ONLY COVERED 2 PLANES BEFORE I STARTED USING NELSON SO IT DOES NOT SEEM TO BAD, ANYWAYS I BUILD UM TO FLY, NOT TO HANG ON WALLS AND JUDGE THE JOB I DID. ITS ALL ABOUT HAVING FUN WITH THE HOBBY AND HELPING OTHER TOO. I URGE MORE OF US TO FIND HELP OR ADVICE ON NEW THINGS AND PRODUCTS MORE THAN JUST COMPLAIN OR DOG THEM. IM SURE THERE IS SOMEONE OUT THERE WHO CAN HELP YOU WITH WHAT EVER LITTLE THE PROBLEM COULD BE. THESE ARE AGAIN TASKS THAT REQUIRE SKILL, AND THEN CAN ONLY SOMETIMES BE AS GOOD AS THE PERSON USING THEM. I KNOW GUYS WHO CAN OUT BUILD AND OUT COVER ME. THEY REFUSE TO USE NELSON LITE FILM BECAUSE ITS HARD FOR THEM TO USE IT. ITS NOT HARD FOR ME, BUT I AM LESS PICKY THAN ALOT OF THEM TOO. I TOTALLY APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS, ALL OF THEM AND WISH YOU LUCK IN ALL YOUR FUTURE VENTURES! THANKS.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:19 AM
CafeenMan

All caps is hard to read.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Steve

Thanks for the replies. I do use Ultracote from time to time and know it is an excellent product also. I've been building and covering for many years and fly gas and glow powered planes. I don't use lite stuf. I've also had many of the Sig ARF's and don't like the covering on them at all. Is this the same stuf that is on their Sumthin Extra, Extra 300, or Meyham? I am used to the qualities of Monokote and Ultracote and don't want to change form mid stroke. I think (viflyer) answered my question in that it has totally different working quality.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:01 AM
jettstarblue

Wow!

That's a lot of "all caps"....anyway, I used my "free roll" of Aerokote, after reading the directions, and I didn't have anymore trouble with it than I do with Monokote.

Plus, it didn't give me a headache.