Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hobbico Pro Torch II

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hobbico Pro Torch II

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 05:18 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hobbico Pro Torch II

I'm preparing to do a couple of vintage bipe kits- Sig SkyBolt and GP Super AeroMaster- which will entail a lot of soldering wire-wrapped joints. I've got a big propane torch that works for this (I did a set of float struts with it), but it is a bit unwieldy and I'm uneasy lighting off that bad boy in the house.

What's the story on this $25 Hobbico Pro Torch II? Is it a decent item, or another cheap Asian knock-off? Anybody used it to do wrapped joints?

If this thing is NOT acceptable for that, can you recommend a small torch that is?
Old 01-21-2005, 03:36 PM
LSP972

Default RE: Hobbico Pro Torch II

Nobody has used this gadget?

Guess maybe it would have gotten better exposure if the post had been left where I put it originally...
Old 01-22-2005, 12:01 PM
flipstart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve-I do not own one but a friend of mine does- it is the Radio Shack but looks similiar. I have used his and it works ok. I have just used a propane torch for so long, can't change, but like you -using one in the house doesn't sound safe. I have fthought about buying one but just have not yet-one thing about Hobbico-you can send that bad boy back easy enough if it does not suit you. Pretty neat to refill with butane like the old lighters. Flipstart
Old 01-22-2005, 12:42 PM
rb4123

When I was in the Marine Corps, I had one of these in my pocket whenever I went out onto the flightline. It's a great soldering iron, and you can take the tip off to make a little blow torch. Plus it;s cheaper than the one you mentioned. But if you do use it, the stupid striker in the cap never lights it. I just use a lighter to get it going. [link]http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F009%5F007%5F003&product%5Fid=64%2D2188[/link]
Old 01-23-2005, 09:57 AM
LSP972

Thanks, rb, but I need the flame to handle the large areas of wrapped wire. I have a good 100-watt gun for smaller areas; push rod clevis', etc.

<<...you can send that bad boy back easily enough if it doesn't suit you...>>

Of course. You're right; the consumer reigns, these days. The thought of returning it because I wasn't satisfied never entered my mind. Gotta modify that mind-set.

Thanks for the reality check. I'll order one this week...
Old 01-23-2005, 12:00 PM
rb4123

That torch is awesome as long as you plan on moving from one section to another. You have to remember that solde melts at about 700 degrees, and those torches put out anywhere from 1500-2500 degree flames, so they will do the job. Maybe not nearly as fast as a full size torch, but they will still get it done.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:07 AM
Ernie Misner

Micro torches are great little tools. I have the Bernzomatic version from Home Depot. The Hobbico torch looks almost identical but is cheaper. They use butane refills that come in large sizes at smoke shops. The butane burns very hot, but they can be adjusted way down to a pinpoint flame is desired. You have to use heat management whether using an iron or torch.

I bought mine for brazing thin aluminum when building mousse can mufflers. Harbor Freight tools has some aluminum brazing rod that is affordable and works great.

Ernie
Old 01-25-2005, 08:31 PM
flipstart

Hey Ernie-glad you mentioned brazing aluminum-I have heard about the rods at Harbor Freight but have not been able to pin down what rods they have. Did a search on their site and no luck-do you have a stock no. and how do they work. I have only used the argon gas method some time back. Flipstart