Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering fuel impregnated balsa

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering fuel impregnated balsa

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 04:16 PM
lcor43
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering fuel impregnated balsa

I was given an old Ringmaster that I am trying to recover. Everything is going OK accept for the fuse that has some fuel soaking. What can I use to remove the fuel or put over it to get the covering to adhear.
Thank for any help. Larry
Old 01-17-2005, 04:34 PM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Covering fuel impregnated balsa

if possible you might try using parts cleaner if you can spray it.automotive type.
you also could use alcohol on swabs do it several times.If you spray the area be sure to protect the area's like the canopy and painted parts.Then after it dries and feels clean then use Balsa rite to the mfg specs. also make sure the glue stays in place where you cleaned ,you might want to re glue areas where the parts make contact,with a brush and wood glue or epoxy
Old 01-17-2005, 04:58 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Spray the balsa with K2R carpet cleaner. It will lift the oil soaking right out and you can wipe off the powder that forms. May take a couple applications but it will be good 2 go when your done.

Good luck!
Andy
Old 01-17-2005, 06:11 PM
lcor43
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks Andy. I'll give that a try.
Larry
Old 01-18-2005, 02:32 AM
CafeenMan

Corn starch works to a point. The deeper the oil, the longer you have to leave the corn starch - sometimes weeks.

You can also keep wiping with an alcohol-soaked rag. Eventually you'll remove enough oil near the surface that the covering will stick. Brush on some balsarite before covering.

Another method is to use a hot iron. When the fuel oil heats up it will migrate towards the iron. Wipe with alcohol, repeat for about 30 hours.

Now my method is to fuel proof so well that I never have to worry about fuel soaking in because it's next to impossible to get it back out. When somebody gives me a fuel soaked plane, I might use it for patterns to make a new one, but the old one gets ditched.