Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What's the smallest R/C Airplane

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What's the smallest R/C Airplane

Old 01-25-2005, 10:53 AM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the smallest R/C Airplane

I'm an R/C Helicopter pilot. But the reason I lean mostly toward helicopters, although I like R/C airplanes, Is due to the lack of flying space. The R/C world is forever making their models smaller & smaller for those of us whom have limited space. Even the R/C helicopter world now has an R/C Helicopter with only a 13" rotor diameter. So I was wonderning if the Model R/C Airplane catagory had something similar to that small size.......
Old 01-25-2005, 04:01 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What's the smallest R/C Airplane

I've heard about RC planes with about a 12 to 14" wingspan, but they're still going to require more space to fly than a micro-heli.

These are strictly indoor flyers by the way, usually at least gymnasium size space. But I've heard of guys flying them in large rooms; say 15 X 24 feet.
Dennis-
Old 01-25-2005, 04:08 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The market is getting more reliable electrics. The new little helis are coming a long way, but still pricey. The small fixed wing birds are not as aerobatic, and some are pretty hokey, but you can get some that are pretty darn small. THe smallest I have is the RC Extreme Yak, which will fly in my back yard. It is pretty fun. Will do any maneuver any of my big birds do, and will hover vertically easy, and horozontally with a 5 knot breeze. It is a blast to fly. Would still love to have a tiny scale edge about 6 inch wingspan, but thats asking way too much right now. Someday though.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:26 PM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

Do you have a link to the R/C Extreme yak.....?
Old 01-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was an article recently in one of the magazines about an indoor flyer with a wingspan of about 4". It did use specialized receivers, servos, motor etc.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:58 PM
CrashBurn69
My Feedback: (1)

Check out the last issue of RC Report and look for the Black Widow. Neat little things.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:26 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.clayshobbies.com/Airplane...ight/Yak55.htm

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/produ...l/yak55spe.htm

The second link is the factory. Make sure you download the vid. I saw the ad here on RCU and looked at it and was amazed at the vid. It was expensive to order, because I sold all my small radio stuff and didn't have the lipo batteries, but the owner steared me toward the 1320 batterie packs and it flys great. I have a lot of fun with it in my back yard, and the little park behind me. It rocks! Glad I bought it. Glad I didn't look at the price before hand, it would have scared me. The plane is cheap, plane and engine and prop combo is $200, not bad, but get 2 or 3 batteries so you can fly while one is charging. It goes about 15 to 20 minutes on a charge. Pretty fun and it is small enough to take with you when you go somewhere.