Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Can you paint 21st century

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Can you paint 21st century

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 11:05 AM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you paint 21st century

I would like to paint 21 century coverlite ,is it possible to do this its very glossy,I would like to paint it with either a flat clear spray or auto primer.I may do a test on a peice,but was woundering if any of you had any ideas. I Love this material it been the easyest to work with so far.Just wish they made it in flat colors.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can you paint 21st century

ORIGINAL: NJ Georgee

I would like to paint 21 century coverlite ,is it possible to do this its very glossy,I would like to paint it with either a flat clear spray or auto primer.I may do a test on a peice,but was woundering if any of you had any ideas. I Love this material it been the easyest to work with so far.Just wish they made it in flat colors.
I am not familiar with "coverlite".

If it is a film covering you will need to scuff the surface with 0000 steel wool OR a green scotch pad. You need to be careful you don't go through the covering.

What you want is to get a "frosted" appearance to the film, then a primer will be able to adhere to the surface after proper cleaning. (I use 91% rubbing alcohol to clean with )
Old 01-30-2005, 05:17 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am not sure what you man by "coverlite", but if you're talking about 21st Century FABRIC, yes, you can paint it; it takes paint very well, at least I've used Top Flite Luster Cote and it worked really well. Here's a picture of white 21st Century masked and painted:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23074.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	222824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49183.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	222825  
Old 01-30-2005, 06:31 PM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a test and auto primer went on it with great adhesion so It can be painted this is the microlite covering,I got the name mixed up with anouther type.It says you cant paint it but I dont see why.I did a test sample and used tamya spray then I used automobile primer and both worked well.I should of ordered fabric though for scale looks this is
a ww1 bird. Thanks for your help.It should go good from here.