Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Engine mount mounting question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Engine mount mounting question

Old 01-30-2005, 05:17 PM
b.bixel
My Feedback: (123)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine mount mounting question

Any problem with using wood screws to mount an engine mount to a firewall versus using blind nuts and bolts?
Old 01-30-2005, 05:21 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Engine mount mounting question

I've seen some old planes done this way, they were all about .40 or smaller. Eventually, though, they're going to work loose. If you try it, use at least #8, and go long enough that they completely penetrate the firewall. You could put a little epoxy in before you place the screw, or a little silicone sealer to help hold it tight.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:24 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Yes, there is a big problem using wood screws instead of bolts and nuts. You may have a close encounter of the painful kind with your prop when the wood screws pull out. Engines create a large amount of stress. Bolts with lock nuts and washers, or blind nuts, inside the firewall ensure that the engine mount will stay connected to the firewall.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Ed Smith

Any problem with using wood screws to mount an engine mount to a firewall versus using blind nuts and bolts?
Calculate the cost and building time of your airplane, engine and radio. Do you want all of that hanging on four little wood screws?

Ed S
Old 01-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes , there is a problem. Shortcuts like this can get people hurt. Also when others find out what you have done, don't act surprised when nobody comes to you looking for advice.

ORIGINAL: b.bixel

Old 01-31-2005, 09:55 PM
flipstart

Its just not a good idea-no cost savings and T-nuts with socket head screws just give you one less thing to worry about-I am always careful not to let anything sharp protrude thru the firewall that might cut a hole in the tank-those sheet metal screws that come with a lot of mounts always get put back and mount drilled and tapped for socket head screws to mount the engine. 2-3 sizes of allen drivers and you can dissassemble entire plane, from engine to control horns. Just makes life a little simpler. Flipstart