Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

REcovering and old model

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

REcovering and old model

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 10:18 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REcovering and old model

I've been given an old Ultra Sport 60; the covering is in pretty sad shape. Assuming it flies well I was considering stripping all the covering off, giving it a new finished sand and filling anything that needs filling and recovering it.

Any suggestions for getting the old covering off? It's pretty dried out so I feel okay that it will peel off okay.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:33 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: REcovering and old model

Best thing to do is use your heat gun to help it release from the wood as you peel it off. Work slowly and take you time. After peeling the old covering off you will need to sand the wood to get the color from the covering off. Sanding will get the old color off and help you prep for recovering.

Definitely take you time, that bird is definitely worth getting back in the air. IMHO the Ultra Sport 60 is one of the best flying planes ever build. I'm getting ready to start building one as soon as I get my building bench cleaned off.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This Ultra Sport 60 came to life "again" last September. I had recently maiden a F20 with a Jett 90. Flutter on the elevator caused its first and only flight. My Jett 90 broke but was repairable but the plane was a total loss. So my friend had this thing hanging in his garage for 10 years. (he's a Giant Scaler) He said I could have it. The covering was hard brittle and I laid the heat gun right down on it. I removed all the control surfaces-everything. I removed the engine and the radio gear and gave it back to him. I stripped it down completely and went over everything and recovered.

Got the Jett 90 repaired and put it all together. I run a 12/8 Apc and up here at high altitude, its' a 100mph plane. I have spring air retracts and I installed a new canopy. Tower still has them but you better call first. Make sure they send you the 60 size, they sent me a .40 size the first time and had to re order.

My wings are still the full width. I wish I had shaved off a couple inches on each side. I still may do that. If your going to go through all that, Get a jett 90. You just have to see this combination fly on this plane and you love it. The momentum it seems to display when in the air is something.

You know from start to finish only took me a month of part time work on it. My other color of choice was going to be all "Cub Yellow" with a black canopy and black lettering. You follow through with this and you'll have a "looker."

To keep orientation, the underside of my wings are white. I don't like all the fancy stripes and stuff, to me it cheapens the looks of it.

ORIGINAL: submikester

I've been given an old Ultra Sport 60; the covering is in pretty sad shape. Assuming it flies well I was considering stripping all the covering off, giving it a new finished sand and filling anything that needs filling and recovering it.

Any suggestions for getting the old covering off? It's pretty dried out so I feel okay that it will peel off okay.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55359.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	225886  
Old 02-06-2005, 11:26 PM
submikester

I was thinking of putting a Magnum .91 4 stroke in it but when given to me it came with an OS .61 Sf ringed engine - it was gummed up good too but I took it apart and soaked it in some fuel to break up that old oil. No rust to speak of inside and it started pretty much right away with a touch of the starter. The plane seems a little heavy for it's size but that just may be me being crazy - I'll have to weight it. I'll fly it this weekend and if it is as good as I hope (I always wanted an ultra sport 60) then I'll start the process to recover. It also has mechanical retracts.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:13 AM
bloodnativ

Diddo what RCKen said. I am presently working on a Kadet Senior that has set in an unheated/unairconditioned garage in TX for at least 10 years. (summer temps 120+ and winter temps well below freezing) The old covering was EXTREMELY brittle. Using a heat gun it came right off. Some of the old color WILL stick. Be sure to sand ALL of it off and you will be good to go.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:15 PM
submikester

ORIGINAL: Snoop Doggy Bag

This Ultra Sport 60 came to life "again" last September. I had recently maiden a F20 with a Jett 90. Flutter on the elevator caused its first and only flight. My Jett 90 broke but was repairable but the plane was a total loss. So my friend had this thing hanging in his garage for 10 years. (he's a Giant Scaler) He said I could have it. The covering was hard brittle and I laid the heat gun right down on it. I removed all the control surfaces-everything. I removed the engine and the radio gear and gave it back to him. I stripped it down completely and went over everything and recovered.

Got the Jett 90 repaired and put it all together. I run a 12/8 Apc and up here at high altitude, its' a 100mph plane. I have spring air retracts and I installed a new canopy. Tower still has them but you better call first. Make sure they send you the 60 size, they sent me a .40 size the first time and had to re order.

My wings are still the full width. I wish I had shaved off a couple inches on each side. I still may do that. If your going to go through all that, Get a jett 90. You just have to see this combination fly on this plane and you love it. The momentum it seems to display when in the air is something.

You know from start to finish only took me a month of part time work on it. My other color of choice was going to be all "Cub Yellow" with a black canopy and black lettering. You follow through with this and you'll have a "looker."

To keep orientation, the underside of my wings are white. I don't like all the fancy stripes and stuff, to me it cheapens the looks of it.

ORIGINAL: submikester

Well, I hope mine turns out as well as yours. How much does it weigh?

Do you know where the CG is supposed to be and what the control throws should be?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2005, 12:32 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

submikester,
you can download the manual for the Ultra Sport 60 at Great Planes website;

[link]http://www.greatplanes.com/manuals/discontinued.html[/link]

The manual is in PDF format. You can get your control throws from the manual.

I've uploaded a scan from the plans that shows where the CG should be.

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20366.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	226059  
Old 02-07-2005, 12:33 PM
submikester

Wow! That was fast!

Thanks man.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:15 PM
submikester

Man...hard to look at that list of discontinued kits and not shed a little tear.

Sure wish I could get one of those spitfires. I had the arf a bunch of years back with retracts and a fox 50 and it was a great flying airplane.