Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Need help to convince school about RC

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Need help to convince school about RC

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Breakstuff5050

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help to convince school about RC

I need help convincing my school that the JR challenge can be counted as a school related absence. The only thing I have to do is write a letter to my principal explaining how RC is related to science and physics. I'm not a good brainstormer. Here is what I thought I could include:

1) Radio frequencies (physical science)
2) Physics

I cant think of anything right now, need help. The point in doing this would allow me to miss school for the competition and not have to make up the days. If my principal decides to not count it as school related then I have to make up an hour per class after school. I have 7 classes a day. I need time an extra day for practice. So I would miss 3 days of school, thats 21 hrs after school that I have to make up or I fail. In the case that he doesnt count it then i would skip the practice day and only have 14 hrs to make up. Please help!!!!

Thanks,

Adam
Old 02-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need help to convince school about RC

I would suggest approaching it from the view point of the airplane physics - lift, thrust, G's, etc.
Don't forget to include the eye/hand co-ordination needed to control the plane.

IMHO, the physics of an aircraft will be easier to document and find information on. It should also be easier for the principal to grasp what you are talking about and exactly how it relates to physics.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:42 PM
McFlyboy

Discipline, self-control, possible career experience, offer to do an essay on the event as part of your literary studies( I don't quite know what classes you have, it's english over here) or if you have a school newspaper...

hope that helps
Old 02-17-2005, 04:43 PM
Breakstuff5050

Ahh, yes, thats a good idea! I just come up w\ another one, mixing gas and oil deals w\ fractions and stuff!

I also thought I would mention and explain how 3D works, and he has prolly never heard of that w\ an airplane so if it is something he gets real surprised about he might be more willing to help me. BTW, my principal is old and mean, so I have to really think of a way to get his approval!

Thanks
adam
Old 02-17-2005, 04:46 PM
McFlyboy

so is my dad

only joking. Rather than just explain 3-d, explain pattern-style aeros(i don't wana say normal aeros) 1st, then provide a comparison between. Show him some of kyles vids from the 3-d forum, he'll soon come round.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:19 PM
Breakstuff5050

I have some pics of my planes torqueing, mainly ill show him my 33% raven torquein! But i was gonna sit down and explain the point of the contest, percision and what ever else i can throw together before i talk to him

thanks, everyone helped, now if I could only find someone to write it for me jk!!!
Old 02-17-2005, 05:22 PM
McFlyboy

sounds cool, good luck
Old 02-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Breakstuff5050

Mr. Drake

March 4th through March 6th I will be going to Punta Gorda, Florida. The reason I am going is to attend an R/C Aerobatic Championship called the JR Challenge. The point of this contest is precision aerobatic flying. The contest will consist of a series of maneuvers that we will fly in front of judges. The judges will judge the accuracy of each maneuver. There is 5 classes to this event: Basic, Sportsman, Intermediate, Advanced, and unlimited with basic being the lower class and unlimited being the highest class. I will be competing in the intermediate class. There is another part of the contest called freestyle. Freestyle is the best part of competition because it is a “give it all you got” contest. Freestyle is created by the pilot and is flown to music. The winners get cash and prizes depending on what class you compete in.

I think you should consider this a school related absence because there is many science related factors that deal with R\C flying. For example, the radios we use to control the aircraft is on a frequency, that frequency is there to keep someone else from flying your plane when they turn on another radio, we just studied frequencies in physical science class. Some more examples are aerodynamics and physics, the entire duration of the contest I will be concentrating on wind factors, negative and positive G’s (wings can break off if G’s are too high), fuel consumption of the 100cc engines, upward and downward wind thermals, keeping constant engine thrust, etc.. My last and foremost reason is because I am planning to make a career out of airplanes, and R\C in my opinion is a good way to start out learning about aircrafts and aircraft control. Thank you for your time!

Adam Ranck

Is that good?
Old 02-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Xrod
My Feedback: (2)

How about this; Explain that there are many activities that are NOT healthy that other boys your age are into. Instead of being glued to an Xbox or other video screen, or doing drugs, you are learning things like commitment, dedication, craftsmanship, patience, mechanics, electronics, aerodynamics. You are learning that rewards are the result of hard work. As an educator, he/she should be delighted that you are exploring these disciplines, and that you are engaged in a wholesome hobby. Remind him that Burt Rutan was an avid modeler. BTW, I trust that you are doing well in your classes and that you can manage by missing those classes! Good luck,
Steve
Old 02-17-2005, 06:27 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shoot, he could probably just do a short article on Burt Rutan. That should get him off the hook. (That and a spellchecker).
Old 02-17-2005, 06:43 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

rcpimpin,
It would be good if your use of "is" were appropriate. Grammar just might be importanat to Adam's school principal.
There is 5 classes to this event: Basic
There "are" 5 classes to this event....
there is many science related factors
There "are" many science related factors....
radios we use to control the aircraft is on a frequency
....aircraft "are"....

You use "are" when you're referencing plural subjects; there are 5 classes, there are many factors; radios are on a frequency. You use "is" when referencing singular.

I agree with some of what you mention and your first paragraph "is" a good start. I'd drop the frequency reference out of the second paragraph, and go a bit further into "G's" so that he knows that YOU know what "G's" actually means. (Hint: gravities)

I also really like the way Xrod is heading with his idea.
Dennis-
Dennis-
Old 02-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Breakstuff5050

lol, thanks DBCherry, i am glad that yall "are" helping me!!! I didnt even notice! Awesome ideas Xrod. I'll make some changes right quick.

Thanks

Adam
Old 02-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Breakstuff5050

Mr. Drake 2/17/05

March 4th through March 6th I will be going to Punta Gorda, Florida. The reason I am going is to attend an R/C Aerobatic Championship called the JR Challenge. The point of this contest is precision aerobatic flying. The contest will consist of a series of maneuvers that we will fly in front of judges. The judges will judge the accuracy of each maneuver. There are 5 classes to this event: Basic, Sportsman, Intermediate, Advanced, and Unlimited with basic being the lower class and unlimited being the highest class. I will be competing in the intermediate class. There is another part of the contest called freestyle. Freestyle is the best part of competition because it is a “give it all you got” contest. Freestyle is created by the pilot and is flown to music. The winners get cash and prizes depending on what class you compete in.

I think you should consider this a school related absence because there are many science and math related factors that deal with R\C flying. For example, the radios we use to control the aircraft are on a frequency, that frequency is there to keep someone else from flying your plane when they turn on another radio, we just studied frequencies in physical science class. Some more examples are aerodynamics and physics, the entire duration of the contest I will be concentrating on wind factors, negative and positive G’s (wings can break off if G’s are too high), fuel consumption of the 100cc engines, upward and downward wind thermals, keeping constant engine thrust, etc.. This skill also takes commitment, dedication, craftsmanship, patience and the knowledge of mechanics, electronics, and aerodynamics. I would also like to mention that I am sponsored by a hobby shop in Hildebran, NC. The aircraft the hobby shop gave me is worth around $7,500. To keep my sponsorship with the hobby shop I need to go to this contest, or it is possible that they could take my airplane back. My last and foremost reason is because I am planning to make a career in the aeronautical field. I also have an interest in piloting aircraft drones for the federal government. Maintaining and piloting R\C aircraft continues to further educate me in my future career goals. Thank you for your time!

Adam Ranck

Is this any better???
Old 02-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Breakstuff5050

BTW, my sponsor don't care if I go to the JR challenge or not so that was a little white lie about him taking my plane away.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:08 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Old 02-18-2005, 07:10 AM
McFlyboy

Just be careful he doesn't ask for their number to check up on you, or if he does make sure you get there first, get them on your side. I always remember my head was a pain in the butt, some things never change.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:21 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I suggest one small wording change. Where you say "I think you should consider this a school related absence..." consider changing it to "I ask that you consider...". This way you are asking him for something rather than trying to tell him what to do. You could even suck up a bit more by saying "I respectfully ask that you consider..."

You might also want to offer to work with your teachers BEFORE you go to get a bit ahead on your assignments.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:30 AM
Breakstuff5050

I dont have time to make the minor changes you guys just offered. I woke up late again so now I have to rush to school hoping I have time to do this thing before school. Thank yall so much for your time and effort. Yall helped me so much! Peace!!!

Thanks
Adam
Old 02-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: rcpimpin101

Mr. Drake 2/17/05

March 4th through March 6th I will be going to Punta Gorda, Florida. The reason I am going is to attend an R/C Aerobatic Championship called the JR Challenge. The point of this contest is precision aerobatic flying. The contest will consist of a series of maneuvers that we will fly in front of judges. The judges will judge the accuracy of each maneuver. There are 5 classes to this event: Basic, Sportsman, Intermediate, Advanced, and Unlimited with basic being the lower class and unlimited being the highest class. I will be competing in the intermediate class. There is another part of the contest called freestyle. Freestyle is the best part of competition because it is a “give it all you got” contest. Freestyle is created by the pilot and is flown to music.
**The winners get cash and prizes depending on what class you compete in.

>The winners will receive cash and prizes depending what class you compete in.

>new paragraph

I think you should consider this a school related absence because there are many science and math related factors that deal with R\C flying. For example, the radios we use to control the aircraft are on a frequency, that frequency is there to keep someone else from flying your plane when they turn on another radio, we just studied frequencies in physical science class. **Some more examples are aerodynamics and physics, the entire duration of the contest I will be
concentrating on wind factors, negative and positive G’s (wings can break off if G’s are too high),
fuel consumption of the 100cc engines, upward and downward wind thermals, keeping constant engine thrust, etc..

>Other examples are aerodynamics and physics. The entire duration of the contest
>I will be concentrating on wind factors, negative and positive G’s (G's are the
>number of positive or >negative forces based on gravity - wings will break off if
>G’s are too high). In addition to this I will also need to be constantly aware of fuel
>consumption of the 100cc engines, upward and downward wind thermals and
>keeping constant engine thrust among other things.

>new paragraph

This skill also takes commitment, dedication, craftsmanship, patience and the knowledge of mechanics, electronics, and aerodynamics. I would also like to mention that I am sponsored by a hobby shop in Hildebran, NC. The aircraft the hobby shop gave me is worth around $7,500.
**To keep my sponsorship with the hobby shop I need to go to this contest, or it is possible that they could take my airplane back.

>Part of my sponsorship aggreement is that I compete in various contests so
>that the hobby shop name and products they sell will become more familiar
>to modelers.

>new paragraph

My last and foremost reason is because I am planning to make a career in the aeronautical field. I also have an interest in piloting aircraft drones for the federal government. Maintaining and piloting R\C aircraft continues to further educate me in my future career goals. Thank you for your time!

>My last and foremost reason is because I am planning to make a career in the
>aeronautical field. I feel that maintaining and piloting R\C aircraft will provide
>me with a background that will be a big asset to me as I pursue my career in
>aeronautics.

>Thank you for your time.

Adam Ranck

Is this any better???
Hi Adam,

I hope you don't mind but I made a few changes that I feel will make your letter more "professional".

The sentence(s) I changed are prefaced with ** and the changes are prefaced with a > .

The change with the hobby shop SHOULD be correct, since sponsorship normally requires you to compete, but while it "implies" that you have to go to this contest, you are not saying (telling a lie ) you have to go to this contest.

Good luck at the contest.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Breakstuff5050

Thanks Campy.

But I am extremly ticked off right now. I walked into the office to wait for mr drake to finish with another student. He walked out when he was done and asked what I wanted him for. I told him I have some questions concerning a future absence. He said ok so I gave him the letter. He read for about 10 seconds and said no, this is not a school related absence because it isnt education related. I know he didnt read the entire letter I wrote. I was really close to arguing w\ him about it but, he is the principal so I just turned around and left while grinching my teeth.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:53 AM
crownvic

Well I guess if you want to go you will just have to suck it up and do the hours.Sometimes the good things in life come hard JMO

Lonnie
Old 02-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Woodpile

Why not just do what every red-blooded American would do in your position? Call out sick...
Old 02-18-2005, 12:10 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Woodpile

Why not just do what every red-blooded American would do in your position? Call out sick...
The problem is he asked and was told no. Now it's too late.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:22 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

No - it isn't too late. He needs to get in there with his parents. He also should mention that the organization he is a member of provides educational scholarships to it's members going to college. Just check you Model Aviation magazine - they list those who get the grants every year. Being an active and accomplished member of the organization will help him to get one of these scholarships as well as academic achievement. If his principal says "no" to this request then he is making it harder for this child to qualify for the scholarships (sort of).

Quoted from the following link: "A total of up to $20,000 is available, to be distributed in various amounts on the basis of AMA modeling activities, scholastic achievement, and citizenship achievement."

http://www.buildandfly.com/AMAchgrantscholarship.asp
Old 02-18-2005, 01:44 PM
rb4123

Just do what I used to do to get out of work. Have someone call up and say that they are your lawyer, and that you have to go take care of some tickets. Thats how I used to go camping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.