Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hand launch ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Jim Elliott
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand launch ?

Our flying field tends to stay muddy for several days after a rain. How feasible is it to hand launch a .40 or even .60 size airplane? I've never seen any one do that (other than electrics) but I don't see why it wouldn't work.. Thoughts? thanks, Jim
Old 02-17-2005, 05:14 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Hand launch ?

If you got the arm for it and enough power on the plane, it's not an issue. Many people regularly hand launch .40 size planes. I've seen video of hand laundching 1.20 size planes straight up. I know it's been done on big 30% planes as well.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:18 PM
McFlyboy

just as long as it doesn't need loadsa airspeed to start lifting you'll be fine

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2640012
Old 02-17-2005, 08:21 PM
frager14

I hand launch my .40 size airplanes when they weather conditions aren't very good. They all do fine and don't lose any altitude. You just have to be ready at the sticks to make any corrections right after launch because it's a little shaky.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:38 PM
fearlessJOE

I would not recomend this at all. If its to rough to take off, what about the landing?
smaller planes, 1/2A-.25 combat models in particular aren't so bad. there usualy small enough to be tossed underhand, (once properly trimed) and your back on the sticks in a blink. But a .46-.60 means two people, one to launch, one to fly. And a .60 will take a finger off if it can!
Old 02-18-2005, 07:28 AM
aimmaintenance

I wouldn't sweat it. It's easy and safe and only requires one person. (yourself)
Start the plane up, grab it from the underside with your throwing hand, (kinda like a football) pick up your TX with your other hand and rev the plane to full throttle, give the plane an overhead throw at about a 15 degree angle.
I was all nervous about it the first time but anymore I think it's actually easier than taking off from the ground.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:10 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Done it many times as described above....

Scared the crud out of me the first time...
but it worked....

this is assuming that the plane has plenty of power.....
hand launch is not a good idea for an underpowered plane........

and I would recommend having a buddy do it for you for the first time or two.......
Old 02-18-2005, 08:45 AM
stang
My Feedback: (1)

Be careful on this idea though. I watched a club member try it with a Sig Kadet. The tail clipped the top of his head as he threw it and the plane fell onto him. He now had a screaming .40 chopping at his belly. The thing that saved him was his jacket stopped the prop from doing any serious damage but he never attempted that again. Just be careful when you throw the model that is up and away from you.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

I have seen a video of Bill Hempel hand launching a 50% Pitts. It can be done.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:14 PM
bent

I've hand launched my Hobbico Superstar 40 many times without any problems, even on floats. Have a 56" span Corsair with a GMS 47 that was a little trickier. I cut slots in the bottom of the wing at the cg location so my thumb and index fingers had something to grip. The inside of the slots were lined with sandpaper. This plane tended to pitch down when I opened the throttle so make sure you grab a low wing forward of the cg. It has landing gear on it now but you can't beat the look of a warbird with poor man's retracts.

Gary
Old 02-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Stick Jammer

I think post #5 brought up the best point of all. If it's too muddy to take off, it's probably too muddy to land.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:50 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was wondering if anyone caught on to the fact that the landing phase is mandatory. I have the problem of mud, I just have to wait till the ground dries up some before I can fly. Would that relegate the launcher to become the sacraficial "spear catcher"? Just make sure you can kill the engine on approach, or you could change the meaning of the term "dead stick landing"......