Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

smoke system in .15?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

smoke system in .15?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default smoke system in .15?

Hey all.. I have a Cap 232 that I'm planning on converting to .15 nitro (it's made for electric and is already lightweight). I read that smoke systems work better when the smoke oil gets heated before entering the exhaust stream. Well, since I am planning on putting an OS .15 CV-A in the front, could I just get the marine version of the engine (.15 CV-M), route the oil lines through to the head to provide not only cowl cooling, but also oil cooling, and at the same time heat the oil that is to go into the muffler stream for better smoke? And if I turned off the oil, would the engine get enough cooling just like that, as a marine head in the propwash?
Old 02-22-2005, 09:14 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: smoke system in .15?

No, no, no, and no.

Regardless of preheating, a .15 will not generate enought heat to produce smoke.

Putting oil in the head which has no cooling fins, and then stopping the flow of oil will result in something similar to a deep fryer.

A .15 size plane will have no room or power to carry the extra load of a smoke system

Sorry, but all in all, this is just not even worth trying.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: smoke system in .15?

Thanks, I was hoping you would reply since it was your article I'd read.

Well I guess I just saved myself money, hassle, and weight! Thank you!