Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Retract Air Cylinder Size

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Retract Air Cylinder Size

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Griffin_NC
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retract Air Cylinder Size

I'm currently putting in a set of retracts into a TF .60 Corsair. I have the two mains, and I'm using a retractable tail wheel with a air cylinder to drive it. I'm curious about any major benefit to using a larger air cylinder. I have a small cylinder and was thinking about ordering a new medium size canister. Is there really any benefit to this? Will I get a significant number of extra charges out of the larger cylinder?

Thanks
Old 03-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Retract Air Cylinder Size

Hey Griffin !!! Where do you fly? I'm a member of the Tarheels club out of Rocky Mount.
On to your Question, The larger tank will give you a larger reserve of air. More volume ! Thus more cycles of the gear up and down. But the larger tank will also add a bit more weight overall. I have the Robart standard tank in my TF Corsair and can get about six to eight cycles before repressurizing. But that's without a retractable tail wheel. But using the larger tank is up to you.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:19 AM
Griffin_NC
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Retract Air Cylinder Size

Hey Doug, I don't fly any at the moment. Don't really have time to get out with work. It's mostly become a hobby of modeling to me at the moment. I was out at the fall Fly-in last year though. Did you have your TF Corsair out there then? If so, I believe we spoke for a bit about the retracts you had mounted in them.

Back on topic though. I'll have to look at the weight difference between the Small and Medium cylinders. I will probably lean towards the Medium since I have a retractable tailwheel mount with a 1" air cylinder driving it. I really don't want it to need filling every 3rd flight. Drop me a PM and I'll send you a link to where I'm stashing the photos at the moment.