Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What size plane is best for all around flying?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What size plane is best for all around flying?

Old 03-19-2005, 05:57 PM
ricknkim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size plane is best for all around flying?

Quick question for the group. What size plane do you guys think is the best for all around flying at a field? 40 size planes are smaller and much easier to transport, but can be a little twitchy in the air and generally don't fly as well in the wind as bigger planes. Once you get up to a 90 size plane, you almost need a truck to transport the thing. I am thinking that a 60 size might be the best choice, small enough to transport fairly easily yet big enough to handle some wind, etc. Thoughts?
Old 03-19-2005, 07:01 PM
McFlyboy

Default RE: What size plane is best for all around flying?

60-68" scale aerobat with 90 engine. You'll never wana go home.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:09 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot depends on the 40 size plane.
A heavier plane will handle the wind better, however the trade off is a higher wing loading. This means the plane lands faster and is not as responsive in the air.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:55 PM
redfox435cat

It's true bigger flies better. It really depends on if you really want to spend the money on bigger. As far a flight performance, that completely depends on the plane. I have 5 models 3are 40 sized planes and every one of they fly completely different. Got a great planes cub that flies awesome with or without the 2 lb camcorder or the 3 lb digital camera. Good lazy flier. A 40 sized Sonic 500 with a hot 46 and clocked over 130MPH and flied like it on rails even on 30 MPH gusts. A cap 232 that is a little shaky, it's either me or the fact it's set for 3d with 45degree throws, which throws me off every now and again. Others a zagi electric wing, since this plane was originally designed for slope soaring it flies awesome in the wind. I was flying this morning in 45 mph storm conditions just for ****s and grins, that was a scary and really fun flight.[:-] Then a thermal glider when I feel like getting a neck cramp.
To me the 40 sized is the best compromise. It also the cheapest sized aircraft. Get any smaller and flies performance is noticeably worse, any bigger and the price for engines and beefier servos adds up quick.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:16 PM
bbbair

I have to agree with redfox435cat,
The best bang for the buck is a 40 sized AC.

Here you get an inexpensive plane that is easy on gas, it transports well and you don't have to mortgage the farm if you loose it. All components (servos, batteries, engines) are stock and reasonably priced - not too big and not too small (expensive either way).

The handling in the wind conditions is entirely dependant on the model itself - I have a friend that has been flying for some 25 years and he swears by the Florio Flier a 40 sized Sport plane designed in the mid 60's. This AC can be anything that you want it to be from a trainer to a hot performer. Just change the throws and upgrade the engine to a 46 (tuned pipe is optional) - but it's still a 40 sized AC!
Old 03-20-2005, 01:51 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ricknkim

What size plane do you guys think is the best for all around flying at a field?
A .60 size 12 lb warbird with flaps
Old 03-20-2005, 07:36 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I've got planes from .15 to .61 right now. They all fly well. I love the fact that I can put the smallest one in the trunk without even removing the wing. Yes, the bigger ones handle wind better, but that's about the only flight difference. The comment about "twitchy" based on size is a myth. If you see a .40 size plane that's "twitchy", it's most likely because it's setup poorly, or the pilot can't, or won't, fly smooth. Put a .15 size plane in the hands of a masters pattern flier and it will be smooth. Put a .90 size warbird in the hands of a beginner and it will appear "twitchy". There's a guy in our club that scratch builds his own very small electrics. His flights are some of the smoothest in the club. It's not the planes, it's the pilots. People are constantly amazed at how smooth my .25 size planes fly. It's because I was taught to fly smooth and the planes have a reasonable amount of control throw.

So, get the size plane you want, cause it's what you want. Don't worry about the size. If you want a variety, go for it.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:40 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Oh, for me, the best size for all around flying is .25 size planes. They use less fuel, less flying space, and in general cost less $$$. I can get 3 25 size planes in my Sebring convertable. Try that with 90 size warbirds.