Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Engine mounts and fuel control...

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Engine mounts and fuel control...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 11:54 PM
rjm1982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine mounts and fuel control...

Ok, this is a 2 part post....so hold on tight...

Im building a 4* 60....

I broke the engine mounts it came with (the black glass-filled)...long story...it was my mistake with the drill press....

Are the more expensive aluminum mounts with the shock absorbers any better? and what is the best way to mount the motor...i didnt trust the tapping method, so i was going to drill the holes for the bolts, then on the opposite side, drill a bigger hole and epoxy a nut into the mount...i screwed it up and broke the mount....eh....stuff is very brittle...

And as far as fuel...im mounting the motor (saito 91) inverted to make a custom cowl on it... but this changes (lowers) the carb...and the bottom of the fuel pan in the frame is kinda preset (especially since ive glued it already) i havent got the motor in to test it...but if it tried to flood the carb, which im sure it will....what can be done to fix that? Ive seen the pumps that use the crankcase pressure that will work with the 91...but are there any simpler methods?

thanks...

this is why im glad that i bought the 4* the same time i bought my NexSTAR, no need to rush things....i can take my time and actually learn...
Old 03-28-2005, 12:23 AM
campbec

Default RE: Engine mounts and fuel control...

Hi rjm1982,

The isolation mounts are great but more $$s than the other versions although Thunder Tiger have one that is reasonable priced, I haven't tried this one just seen it used on a mates model. Tapped alloy is more than strong enough but you will need to use blue locktite to ensure the bolts don't vibrate loose. I would use allen head, (hex head), high tensile steel bolts.

If the carby's fuel inlet is below the centre line of the tank it will tend to flood which isn't much fun with a large four stroke. A Cline pump will get over this but I would recommend repositioning the tank if possible.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 03-28-2005, 08:19 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had some experience with the isolation mounts. IMHO I think that they are not worth the extra money for a 2 stroke like you are planning on using, and especially a smaller 2 stroke. Isolation mounts are great for larger 4-strokes that have a lot of vibration. Hopefully you didn't throw away the broken mount you were working on. If I were you I would take the old mount and practice tapping the holes. I like to tap them because I feel that I get a more secure mount. When you tap the hole leave the last 1/8" or so untapped, this makes it very tight on the bolt and acts as a lock washer. When you mount the motor put a drop or two of blue locktite to ensure that the bolt stays put.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:34 AM
rjm1982

Well, it is a 4-stroke 91...

yeah, im going to practice on whats left of the old mounts (i broke about a 1/2 inch off of each end and splite the triangle supports on the sides....u should have seen what happened...it didnt make sense to me untill i did it the second time....duh....a slightly broken bit, didnt realize it...it was bending when you put stress on it...but stright when it was just spinning....)
Old 03-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Dsegal

> ...i didnt trust the tapping method <

You should trust this method- it is the best way to go.