Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Clear over Latex??

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Clear over Latex??

Old 03-31-2005, 10:41 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Clear over Latex??

Hi Guys,
I am looking at painting my 1/4 Cub with Latex, what is a good clear to spray over the latex to fuel proof the plane??
Thanks!!
Anthony
Old 04-01-2005, 08:43 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Clear over Latex??

Use a WATER BASE polyurethane. The water base poly will not yellow with age and is good for up to 15% nitro.

Make sure the latex has "cured" before applying the poly. To see if the latex is cured, press your finger firmly on a hard spot on the plane (I use the cowl ). If a fingerprint remains, the paint is not cured. Don't worry about the fingerprint, it will disappear in a day or two.

Flat latex takes an average of 7 - 10 days to cure. Semi gloss and Gloss latex typicaly take 14 - 21 days to cure, but can take longer depending on humidity and temperature.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:28 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the reply.
I will give it a try, I hope to be painting the plane in 2 weeks. I ordered an HVLP gun and will shoot some test pieces 1st. This will be my 1st attempt at painting a plane and I want to make sure I get it right. I would hate to have to strip off all that Koverall
Thanks Again!!!
Anthony
Old 04-01-2005, 09:41 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I offer the following suggestions for painting with latex.

1. Add 1 1/2 caps of Flotrol per quart of paint BEFORE diluting. This retards the drying slightly allowing the paint to "level" itself better.

2. I have had my best results spraying at 25 psi - 30 psi. Under 25 psi and I don't get the coverage I would like. Over 30 psi and I start to get a "dimpling" effect.

3. For masking, especially over reasonably fresh paint, use 3M brand BLUE masking tape. You will want the "60 Day Safe Release". It is easily identified as follows: A "paper" appearance and on the side of the wrapper you will find an adhesive index. This index should have 2 dots in the adhesive rating. This tape holds well and almost never pulls up any underlying paint.

4. Latex is compatible with just about everything. While there are latex primers available, I have had excellent results using automotive primer in the spray cans.

5. Make sure the weave in the Koverall is filled.

6. DO NOT TRY TO WET SAND LATEX. It will come up in little balls.

7. If for some reason you do not like the paint job it can NORMALLY be removed UP TO 12 hours later with wet rags and water.

8. If you have not done spraying before I suggest getting a piece of window glass and stand it vertically. Practice spraying on the glass before shooting the plane. When you can shoot the paint on the glass without it running or sagging you are ready to shoot the plane.

9. Since latex is a form of "rubber", you will have no problems if you need to reshrink the covering at a later date. The latex will move with the covering without cracking. Just remember to be judicious with the heat.