Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Easiest/best hinge repair?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Easiest/best hinge repair?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Jeepindog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easiest/best hinge repair?

I have a broken CA hinge on the rudder of one of my planes. It has a total of three. The bottom one is broken, but the top two are REALLY strong and solid. I have heard the lesson about too much CA will make it brittle, etc, but this is the only hinge that has ever broken on me. So, how should I fix it? Should I cut the top two, and re-slot three new hinges, or should I cut the top two and put in hinge points? Thanks for any advice.

Lachlan
Old 04-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Wine Country Flyer
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Easiest/best hinge repair?

I've had that happen, too. I just cut the rest of the hinges and re-slotted with the slot machine, then put in new CA hinges. That has worked for many many flights, so far. I guess it kinda depends on what plane you're talking about and how much you like it. If it's big or really fast, then I might think of hinge points. But, those CA hinges, even in a re-used slot are very strong. Hope this helps--John
Old 04-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Jeepindog

Hey, thanks. No slot machine, but I think I'll try to re-slot next to the current hinges' locations. Otherwise, hinge points.

LM
Old 04-08-2005, 10:08 PM
FlyNBHappy
My Feedback: (7)

For me, I wouldn't rehinge unless you want that clean look again. What I've done in the past is to drill holes on both sides of the hinge. I use dental floss or 10lbs fishing string and just loop it together (up one side, down between the gap and up on other side, repeat with next set of holes) with some CA in each hole to hold it in place. Works better than re-hinging and much stronger and easier in my opinion.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Jeepindog

ORIGINAL: FlyNBHappy

For me, I wouldn't rehinge unless you want that clean look again. What I've done in the past is to drill holes on both sides of the hinge. I use dental floss or 10lbs fishing string and just loop it together (up one side, down between the gap and up on other side, repeat with next set of holes) with some CA in each hole to hold it in place. Works better than re-hinging and much stronger and easier in my opinion.
That sounds pretty easy, too, but it's a nice, clean airplane that should retain that nice, clean look!

Lachlan
Old 04-09-2005, 07:04 AM
Flying Hog

Cut them out and use Robart hinge points..... You'll never have that problem again.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:28 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No need to cut the good hinges. Just weave some covering through the gap and iron it down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25179.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	255962  
Old 04-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Jeepindog

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

No need to cut the good hinges. Just weave some covering through the gap and iron it down.
I like that one! I'll try that first, and if it doesn't hold up, then the hinge points will be next. Thanks, Minn!

Lachlan