Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Where should I exit my annteanae?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Where should I exit my annteanae?

Old 04-14-2005, 12:18 PM
rugrad02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where should I exit my annteanae?

Hello all,

I am building a four star .40 and I am wondering where/how I should exit the reciever anntenae? I have not covered the plane yet so I can make some modifications. Thanks

KB
Old 04-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Montague

Default RE: Where should I exit my annteanae?

It really doesn't matter that much.

You probibly don't want it directly behind the exhaust because you don't want to deal with oil and fuel coming in.

I usually locate the exit close to the RX, so the antenna doesn't run near servo or battery leads or pushrods or anything. It's also easier to get in and out that way.

I often run the antenna up to the vertical stab. If you want it to really look like a full-scale antenna, then exit just behind the canopy and run to the vertical stab.

If you want to hide it, exit on the bottom of the plane, and tape or run tubing along the bottom of the fuse.

If you want to really hide it, run it inside the fuse all the way to the tail, then out inside the horizontal or vertical stab, or just out the tail. I've also seen it run out inside the wing.

Lots of options.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:33 PM
J_R

Get some soda straws from the local fast food place and CA them together. Run the, now, long tube out the rear of the plane. Let any excess antenna just stick out. This weighs almost nothing and keeps the antenna from tangling with the linkages.

Rough up the straw with 600 or 400 grit sandpaper before applying CA. Only a drop is needed since there is no load once it is in place.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:18 PM
kdheath

I make some effort to run the antenna away from substantial metal parts, but I can't tell that it's critical (used to more important on older radios). Seems like a reasonable precaution. I sometimes go out the side of the fuse out to the tip of the horizontal stab.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:21 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

I've used Sullivan Golden rod (the yellow inside) and run from near the RX to exit wherever you want. I glue it in and cut it flush. If you ever have to re-install the RX, it is much easier to route the antenna wire.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:04 PM
rcjon

My Favorite Martian preferred the top of the head.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:28 PM
redfox435cat

If you havent covered it yet then glue some tubing inside the fuse and side the anntena up it. otherwise anywere away from the engine is fine
Old 04-15-2005, 11:09 AM
center of the universe

why should it stay away from metal objects, if it is also taking in some of the waves would that matter? wouldn´t the antanna get just as much of the signal?

also does the balsa or the covering take much of the signal if the antanna is internal[&:][&:]
Old 04-15-2005, 08:57 PM
t6texan.aus

Try to think of the plane like a building and the Rxer like a mobile phone.

All metals can both absorb and re-radiate Radio Frequency(RF) signals.

When you go into say, a multi story building with lots of cabling and re-enforcing in the concrete, your mobile reception drops dramatically.

So when building a model plane try to keep the antenna(AE) away from metal pushrods and at 90deg to long run servo leads.

Long run servo leads bring in added problem when the signal wire is of simmilar length to the antenna wire as they can act as an independant AE with nasty consequences.

But in general run them straight as possible, DO NOT COIL IT UP as this WILL SHORTEN the RANGE SEVERLY and you will find this limit out by crashing.