Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Pneumatic Retracts

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Pneumatic Retracts

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 09:53 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pneumatic Retracts

May be the coolest thing I've ever seen! I just got mine for my top flite Texan that I'm building. It's the Century Jet version, and they are AWESOME! I had to play with them (of course) since it'll be at least mid-summer before they see any real action. I have a couple of questions, though.....

The kit came with two plastic things that kind of screw together--one red and one black. Are these quick connectors (so the tank and valve can be located in the fuse?) It's all I can come up with and the instructions really don't mention them.

Also..

CJ recommends buying their special valve body to get slower responses, and not in-line restrictors. The only reason they give is that it is one more splice in the line, and one more possible place for an air leak. Has anyone out there put restrictors inline using CJ retracts? Will they work ok? I don't want the retracts going up and down full speed. With 80 PSI, it's not too scale looking! Plus, it seems as though it would put a lot of stress on the mounts with those things slamming up and down that fast (with a 3 inch tire at the other end).

Thanks for the help...
Old 04-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Pneumatic Retracts

A way to get around the "in line" restrictors is to use a wheel collar over the air tubing and use the set screw on the wheel collar to adjust the speed.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:51 AM
mustangman177

I've used the wheel collars as air restrictors as you mentioned. They work fine for a while, but you can develp a weak spot in the air line where the allen screw restricts the air pressure at the wheel collar, which could develop into an air leak in the system. Not good.

Also the amount you turn the screw in the wheel collar is a VERY small amount to get the desired effect you need. Often times is hard to do.

Best bet, as I have found is to spend the extra few dollars and get the adjustable air valves. You can't go wrong with these. You're spending alot of money on a plane already, don't take any chances with a half-baked idea.

Just my 2 cents worth

Cary
Old 04-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the red and black things are quick disconnects that allow you to quickly connect and disconnect the air lines between the wing and the fuse.

Inline air restrictors do not slow down the retracts that much. A variable air control valve does a much better job.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:32 PM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

I have used restrictors forever and have had no problems. The adjustable valve is best if money is no object.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:29 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll get the variable valve. It's only 33 bucks. Considering all other costs--that's not much.