Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

real answers about paint

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

real answers about paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 09:58 AM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default real answers about paint

I'm a slow builder and I've spent countless hours the last 6 months building a Sig Spacewalker and I don't want to screw it up now. I am finishing up the covering of the model. I'm using Cub yellow Solartex in which I'm covering the entire plane. I will be painting the red details as well as applying a clear finish to the entire plane. I've never painted a plane before so I have no experience when it comes to which paint to use. I would really like to go with a Latex paint and spray the entire plane with a water based polyureathane when done to fuel proof and fill the cloth weave. My problem is I've searched this site for answers and I read some that say the water based clear is not fuel proof (glow 10%-15%) and I read some that say it is. I need to know if anyone can give me a straight answer to this problem. I can go with some of the products that I know will work such as Lustrekote and others but I have reasons not to(allergies). I want to go with the water based stuff if I can.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:57 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: real answers about paint

Most agree that Nelson's clear is fuel proof. Why not use that?
Old 04-27-2005, 01:27 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water base poly is fuel proof to 15% PROVIDED you clean the plane at the end of the day. If you let it sit on the plane overnite (or longer ), the poly is going to soften some.

Oil base poly is fuel proof and you don't have to worry about cleaning the plane, HOWEVER, oil base poly WILL YELLOW over time (about 8 - 10 months you will start seeing the yellow show ), where water base poly does not yellow.

If you are interested in using latex read the attachment I wrote up on it.

Attached Files
File Type: txt
Lj24046.txt (2.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-29-2005, 02:53 AM
warbirdcolors
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bragging perhaps...BUT

I manufacture a one-part, water-based, fuel-proof, acrylic polyurethane paint especially formulated for the RC hobbyist.

go to:

http://www.warbirdcolors.com
Authentic WWII Colors For Your Scale Warbird

This IS NOT a re-vamped System3/Nelson product, but an entirely NEW formulation
Old 04-29-2005, 03:25 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you really mean a water based polyureathane, like Nelson's. it is fuel proof. If you mean water based polycrylic - it is not fuel proof.

Paul