Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive Shipping Carriers for Larger planes

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Inexpensive Shipping Carriers for Larger planes

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 07:38 PM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inexpensive Shipping Carriers for Larger planes

I am looking for a shipping company that does larger planes. I am currently looking to get my RTF QQ Yak shipped back to me from VA and it seems the packaging exceds their largest size for Ground shipping on most carriers. So my rate for getting this plane shipped back to me is like $250.00. Thats outrageous. Does anyone know how these 40% guys and others on RCU ship their big birds to buyers with out paying those enormous premiums? I got a quote from Greyhound at approx $50.00 but their insurance is only for $300.00. I am looking for ideas. Thanks
Old 04-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Inexpensive Shipping Carriers for Larger planes

Check out Trailways and Greyhound bus lines. You have to take it to the bus station and pick it up at the bus station, but the rates are very reasonable. They take packages most other carriers say are too large.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:50 PM
joeb102072

Yea I talked to greyhound but their insurance S***s not to put a finer point on it. Although they were extremly reasonable I was worried about the care they will take with the goods.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:07 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, greyhound is the cheapest, but yes, they have ins limits. If you don't like it, you can truck it, but then you will need the insurance. Its going to be handled better on the bus and moved less. Chances of it getting broken are less. You can air freight it on Delta, but again, huge cost and more handling. UPS and Fedex will take over size, but it is epxensive and they will destroy it.

On all the planes I have shipped, greyhound has been the best and I didn't need ins. cause they did a good job. UPS destroyed a couple, and it was a huge battle to get them to pay and I ended up loosing. They have this dufas come out and say the packaging wasn't sufficiant and there wasn't 3 inches of foam packing around all sides. Do you know how big of a box it takes to get 3 inches of packing on all sides of the tail on a sportster 60? Its huge and noone could afford to buy the packing materials.

Freight companies will move it, but they are expensive.

Either way, make sure it is packaged right and you won't have to worry about the insurance. Then greyhound will be best. If you ship it on the trucks, I would pay to package it in plywood so they don't drive a fork lift through it. Happens a lot.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:26 AM
joeb102072

Thank you very much for the clarification It has made up my mind for me. And has cleared up alot of issues. Greyhound it is
Old 04-30-2005, 11:21 AM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

I used greyhound to ship a quarter scale plane. It took me nearly a week to build a good box though. (almost as challenging as building the plane...he..he)

they carry it in the luggage compartment of the bus.....keep this in mind.

call them before you start on the box (or go on-line) because they do have a limit to the length the box can be.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:29 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

I had a quarter scale Cub shipped to me by Greyhound. It was just framed up, no covering, and the packaging job left a lot to be desired. The fuse was relatively well protected with foam "peanuts" in a cardboard box, but the stab hung out the end with just cardboard wrapped around it, and the wing was just wrapped in cardboard and taped to the main box. [X(]

Surprisingly, it made it from FL to MA without an bit of damage. And I was afraid I'd break something just loading it into my van!
Dennis-
Old 05-01-2005, 10:26 AM
propjaw
My Feedback: (19)

Have you tried DHL for a quote? They recently took over Airborne Express and seem to be doing well.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:39 PM
joeb102072

Yea did that too all of them I exceded the maximum allowable box size for ground shipments so that automatically places any oversized box @ the max weight limit allowed by ground 390lbs and my total for shipping is 190$$. My builder is going to make a crate out of 1/4" ply and pack the plane up in that for greyhound. Shipping will be under $ 40.00. thats how I am going to do it. Thanks for eveyones help.
regards,
Joe
Old 05-02-2005, 10:08 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: DBCherry

I had a quarter scale Cub shipped to me by Greyhound. It was just framed up, no covering, and the packaging job left a lot to be desired. The fuse was relatively well protected with foam "peanuts" in a cardboard box, but the stab hung out the end with just cardboard wrapped around it, and the wing was just wrapped in cardboard and taped to the main box. [X(]

Surprisingly, it made it from FL to MA without an bit of damage. And I was afraid I'd break something just loading it into my van!
Dennis-

I got a goldberg shoestring like that USPS once. The fuse was in the box with the peanuts, the tail was litterally sticking out holes cut in the box. The wing tips were sticking out both ends. I couldn't believe they accepted this thing to ship it, but there was no damage on it. Not a broken rib. Maybe we should ship them this way so the shippers can see how fragile they really are and they will be more carefull!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:17 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I shipped a large F15 jet last month through www.forwardair.com and it was $120 shipped and insured for $4000

Build a stout wood crate and they will send it. Took 3 days from Florida to Washington, and that was a long way!
Old 05-02-2005, 05:48 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Forward Air rocks.. the only way to ship planes. I have shipped quite a few with them and they arrive alive!

$120 to ship a 40% plane in a very large crate was a good deal.

DP
Old 05-02-2005, 08:22 PM
joeb102072

Hmmmmm.... I will definatly check it out. If a 40%er cost 120$ I can only think a 25% should be in the 60$ range. I am definatly making a phone call. Thanks guys !!! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-11-2005, 02:02 PM
NatKcirred
My Feedback: (2)

This is a really late reply but I was wondering how you guys crate your airplanes. Are there any tutorials or such on how to do this so the plane is safe? Thanks.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:17 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: desertpig

Forward Air rocks.. the only way to ship planes. I have shipped quite a few with them and they arrive alive!

$120 to ship a 40% plane in a very large crate was a good deal.

DP
I shipped 2 aircraft by Forward Air. The first was totally crushed by some one setting an extreemly heavy crate on top of it. It was marked "Top Load" and "Fragile" in big red letters all over the crate. The second one had a fork lift fork run thru the end of the crate and destroyed the tail section, that was at at least 6" from the end of the crate.
Both were insured and in the first case the claimed was paid with minimal hassle. The second was a royal PIA. Never again for me!!!!!![:@]
Old 05-11-2005, 04:48 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Try this site, www.freightquote.com