Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

latex paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 07:00 AM
talon_77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default latex paint

Ok...I've just about got all my painting done on my 1/4 scale Nieuport 28. This is my fisrt time painting with latex and I'm not sure how long I should wait before applying the decals.
Also...should I spray the entire model with some type of clear coat to "seal" the paint?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 05-13-2005, 08:42 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: latex paint

ORIGINAL: talon_77

Ok...I've just about got all my painting done on my 1/4 scale Nieuport 28. This is my fisrt time painting with latex and I'm not sure how long I should wait before applying the decals.
Also...should I spray the entire model with some type of clear coat to "seal" the paint?

Thanks,

Brian
You can apply the decals about 2 - 3 hours after the paint is "dry to the touch".

If you are running a gasser there is no need to clear coat the paint, although it should "cure" for at least a week (IMO ) before exposing it to fuel residue..

If you are running a glo engine you definitely need to clear coat the paint.

Flat latex paint takes about 7 - 10 days to "cure". Semi gloss and gloss latex take about 14 - 21 days to cure. To see if the paint is cured, press your finger firmly on a hard spot on the plane (I use the cowl ). If a fingerprint remains, the paint has not cured yet. (Don't worry, the fingerprint will disappear in a day or two. ).

Once the paint has cured you can go fly if it is a gasser, or clear coat it if it is a glo powered plane.

For clear coating there are several you can use.

1. Oil base polyurethane is FUEL PROOF, however, it does "yellow" after about 7 - 8 months. It is hardly noticeable on dark colors, but it is quite noticeable on white and other light colors. It sort of gives the plane an "antique" look.

2. Water base polyurethane is FUEL RESISTANT. It DOES NOT YELLOW. As long as you clean your plane at the end of the day you will be OK, however, if you let the residue sit on the plane overnite (or longer ) the poly will soften on you. (Don't ask how I know about this )

3. There is always Lusterkote or Ultracote clears. Personally, I do not care for Lusterkote. I find that it "spits" a lot and I don't like the way it "lays". I have also encountered several mis labeled cans.

Personally, I like the poly. I can select the amount of "gloss/sheen" I want by the poly type (satin, semi gloss, gloss ). I use the water base poly and have found that the longer it is on the plane, the more fuel resistant it becomes. If you use the water base poly, let it setup/cure for at least a week before exposing it to glow fuel.

Hope this answers your questions.