Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Exploding Battery

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Exploding Battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 10:55 PM
dhammond
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exploding Battery

I just got a new 4.8 Ni-Mi 2300 battery pack that exploded right after fast charging @1.5 amps,
I was was using a peak detection charger( Apex its rated for NIMI's) and the pack took 1400ma of charge, one of the cells exploded within 2 min. of of disconnecting ... never seen this happen before ... any one else ??
Old 05-20-2005, 12:27 AM
The Ghost

Default RE: Exploding Battery

Could have been a faulty cell or the battery was charged before charging again with a faulty charger. The only time I have seen them explode is if they are damaged or overcharged.

Cheers.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:02 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the fast peak detector chargers all the time and never had any problem with a battery exploding. I have several 2100ma packs.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 05-20-2005, 05:26 AM
Geistware

Was this your initial charge that you were making at 1.5 amps.
If so, this may be your problem.
The intial charge needs to be at C/10 or 230ma or less with that pack.
ORIGINAL: dhammond

I just got a new 4.8 Ni-Mi 2300 battery pack that exploded right after fast charging @1.5 amps,
I was was using a peak detection charger( Apex its rated for NIMI's) and the pack took 1400ma of charge, one of the cells exploded within 2 min. of of disconnecting ... never seen this happen before ... any one else ??
Old 05-20-2005, 05:56 AM
rorywquin

Agree - you need to slow charge on your first charge to balance the pack. I usually cycle my pak 3x after the first slow charge !
Old 05-20-2005, 06:19 AM
dhammond
My Feedback: (2)

That must be it ... first charge on that pack ... thanks for the insight !
Old 05-20-2005, 08:58 AM
redfox435cat

sound like you fast charged it on a charger desighned only for NiCds. NiMh don't work right off the delta peak method. NiMh don't like to be fast charged for that matter. any your just asking for trouble doing it on the first charge. I've now seen 4 plane hit the dirt wanting to blame someone turing a radio on. I'd ask them how they charge their battery and they exculisivley say fast charging. Just can't do this. They weren't desighned for it. Use your overnight chargers

get something like this

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL331&P=7]multi charger[/link]
Old 05-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: redfox435cat

sound like you fast charged it on a charger desighned only for NiCds. NiMh don't work right off the delta peak method. NiMh don't like to be fast charged for that matter. any your just asking for trouble doing it on the first charge. I've now seen 4 plane hit the dirt wanting to blame someone turing a radio on. I'd ask them how they charge their battery and they exculisivley say fast charging. Just can't do this. They weren't desighned for it. Use your overnight chargers

get something like this

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL331&P=7]multi charger[/link]
I respectfully disagree. I have quick charged all my NiMH packs, and that's all I use on my RXs. I rarely go over 1 amp. Never had a problem, rarely get warm.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Geistware

I would suspect the second pack.
Get two new packs or make sure that the second pack is the primary for a two pack installation.
ORIGINAL: dhammond
That must be it ... first charge on that pack ... thanks for the insight !