Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

tail wires on faster planes

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

tail wires on faster planes

Old 05-27-2005, 10:43 PM
khlash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tail wires on faster planes

I just completed a Phoenix Models Sea Bee sport pattern plane and up until now all of my planes have been of the 3d variety and Ive taken great care to avoid overspeeding them. This plane however, is gonna haul....well you know.. I began my customary installation of tail bracing wires that I install on all of my planes whether its called for in the instructions or not. So I installed the wires on the underside of the stabilizer and in my haste to get out in the field I figured I would do the top half later. Maiden went fine and as I was about to really start wringing out the model the though occured to me that at high speeds the wires being only on the lower half of the stabilizer would exert a downward force due to the drag of the lines through the air (not good when the top wires arent there yet). So I kept it reasonable... But then I began wondering if I should just leave them off entirely...seems like high speed flight and taught wires may not mix well.... Am I being paranoid? So whats the verdict? Shold I put them on or take them off? Thanks for your help in advance..

Khlash
Old 05-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: tail wires on faster planes

Instead of using bracing wires, I usually insert a 3/16" diameter carbon fiber rod through the span of the rear stab and vertical fin. So far no failures after numerous high speed passes.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tails fail by bending downward.
I use tubing struts on the bottom sides of planes I have such things on.
A full set of 4 braces isn't out of place on a high speed aerobat.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:26 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tall Paul is correct; under most conditions the tail forces are always down so your wire on the lower half were not doing anything under normal flight conditions.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:09 PM
khlash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can I find the aerodynamic tubes some people use? Anyone know of a source?

Khlash
Old 05-28-2005, 09:15 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The K&S bin at most LHS has streamlined alum tube in about four sizes right next to the music wire and brass tubes but its not cheap.

John