Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Concerning 15% fuel

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Concerning 15% fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 05:58 PM
rugrad02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concerning 15% fuel

I goofed up. I ordered what I thought was 15% Tower Hobbies fuel from Tower Hobbies off the internet. I must have gotten in a hurry and ordered 15% 4-cycle premium which has a higher content of Castor Oil. I don't even own a 4-cycle engine. Do you think it will be ok to run this fuel through my .40 O.S. and Thunder Tiger engines? Thanks.

KB
Old 06-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Concerning 15% fuel

ORIGINAL: rugrad02

I goofed up. I ordered what I thought was 15% Tower Hobbies fuel from Tower Hobbies off the internet. I must have gotten in a hurry and ordered 15% 4-cycle premium which has a higher content of Castor Oil. I don't even own a 4-cycle engine. Do you think it will be ok to run this fuel through my .40 O.S. and Thunder Tiger engines? Thanks.

KB
There should not be any problems with the running of the engines.

The added castor has a plus and minus to it.

The plus is that the engine will have added protection from rust and damage in the event of a "lean" run. Castor protects substantially better than synthetic oil since it kinda sticks to the parts.

The minus is that you need to be faithful about "running the engine dry", and for storage much over 3 or 4 weeks you should use some after run oil. The added protection for the engine comes at a price. If you leave the excess fuel in the engine the castor tends to get "gummy". It will not really hurt the engine, it just causes additional drag when you go to start the engine. Once the engine starts (or fresh fuel gets circulated inside the engine) the gumminess typically goes away immediately.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:48 PM
captjack
Banned
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should be fine as long as the total oil content is 20 %.I prefer castor oil based fuels i add castor oil to my fuel to bring the oil content up to 22%.seems like i have seen an increase of worn out engines as the oil content has dropped over the years.back in the 70's oil content ranged from 25-28% on average then when castor oil prices went sky high oil content went to around 22% in the 80's and in the 90's 20% and now in the 00's i see it as low as 18%.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:00 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am curious as per the price of the fuel as opposed to the local hobby shop. meaning a five dollar surcharge per gallon from tower. and if you only bought a quart it will only last about five flights so i would'nt worry about the castor gumming anything up. By the way this is not a bash on you for all i know you may not have a hobby store near you that sells fuel at a decent price. just curious.
Dennis