Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

3 aileron servos?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

3 aileron servos?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 07:03 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 aileron servos?

How do you hook up three aileron servos? I have a high wing plane that takes two aileron servos and I'm going to make it a bipe with an old wing that uses one servo.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:19 AM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: 3 aileron servos?

Why not simply run a linkage between the ailerons?

Dr.1
Old 06-13-2005, 08:05 AM
eaglelope

If you really want to do that then it depends on your radio and how felxible you need to be.

You could just cascade two "Y" cables so that you end up with three servo connections. However, that means you will need to make all of the alignments mechanically to get the upper and lower throws and trims right.

Or, if you have a programmable radio like the Futaba 9C you can program a mix on an unused channel to slave from Ch 1 (Ailerons) and use that to drive the third servo.

Or, like DR1Driver said, just mechanically link the upper and lower ailerons and use two servos.

Mark
Old 06-13-2005, 08:38 AM
50%plane

The wings might flex because of no supports in between them, so no linkages. I do have a 9C, but am still figuring out how to program all the fetures. How would you create a slave servo?
I need to have this plane done before friday so I can fly it in the IMAA meet at my club this Friday.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:19 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

I would suggest adding cabanes or struts between the wings--somehow. Uneven flexing of the wings will constantly change the incidence between the two wings, and will give you all kinds of grief--maybe to the point of an unflyable airplane. The wings need to be connected together somehow. Just my .02! I wouldn't rush just to get through by Friday, or you might end up hurting your ego on Friday in front of a lot of people.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:23 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Another suggestion is to make your single servo wing utilize two servos--easy to do, can be accomplished in about 30 minutes worth of work. Then, use two Y's (as stated before), but hook both right servos up to one side, and both left servos up to the other Y. Then, plug your right Y harness into the aileron channel, and plug the left Y into the flap channel, mix the two channels together, an you should be all set. Using this setup, though, you'll have to always hook the right servos to the same Y, and vice versa, so make sure you label the Y's as left and right. Just a thought--I still think you need braces between the wings.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:41 AM
50%plane

With velcro and a slow plane it doesn't matter. The velcro and rubber bands hold the wing on so securely that I deadsticked through a tree hitting the trunk and the wing didn't move. It still didn't move when I dropped the plane out of the tree. I was going to run a Y- harness off channel one, but that resulted in slower movement on that aileron. If I can slave from another channel that would be great, but I don't know how yet.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:04 PM
eaglelope

I'll have to get to my 9C to get details but in general you can use one of the programmable mixes (try PROG.MIX1). On that one I think master is already set to AILE, just set slave to AUX1 or 2 and then use channel 7 or 8 for the third servo. Set the mix so that it is always on (not on a switch). You may have to go into the AUX-CH menu and set the control to NULL so it's not tied to a switch, slider, or knob. You can set the center and endpoints on the Aux and vary the mix% to get the throws where you need them.

Sorry I don't have more details but I can look tonight if you need help.

Mark
Old 06-13-2005, 02:02 PM
50%plane

Thanks I will try that.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:28 PM
50%plane

It Worked!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 07:50 AM
eaglelope

Great! Now you can focus on keeping the wings from flapping.

Old 06-14-2005, 11:12 AM
50%plane

Come by and watch. If I can I will post a pic of the plane as soon as it's finished. I hope to maiden this plane Friday morning.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:43 PM
50%plane

It flew today. I got to the field at 6am and maidened the plane. I flew the plane 13 times in this configuration, then I took the botom wing off and flew it around twice.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:20 PM
eaglelope

Cool! Next time I head over your way I'll have to look you up to see this thing!
Old 06-18-2005, 06:15 AM
50%plane

It will be at the 21'st annual Ray Gordon in Harrisonburg today. I didn't charge my battery so I won't be flying today, but I will fly it Sunday.