Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering question

Old 06-14-2005, 07:14 PM
RCaillouet3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering question

Hello all, and first of all thanks for any help you can give.

Well, here is one that I am sure has been asked in the past, but I have to ask anyway. I am going to be covering a plane in Monokote. I am wanting to make a good 3 or 4 color scheme design. BUT I have a problem with putting on covering over non sheeted sections. When overlaying one color over another, I get air bubbles all over the place in the covering. I have been told about using windex window fluid, and was wondering if it worked.

What I have been told is to iron on and shrink my base color tight. The spray on Windex Window cleaner and lay down my next color (already preshaped.) While the Windex is still there, place the color where I want it, then smooth out any airbubbles I might see with a Q tip. Wait for the Windex to dry and VOILA, the Monokote is now permanent. Can this be??? Can you cover monokote with another section of monokote WITHOUT using heat???

Also, can this same technique be use with Nelson Solite?? I have used the cut, place and heat method discussed at rcgroups. But I have never tried to use the Windex method.

Please help all, I have 2 airplanes getting VERY close to covering stage of build, and don't want to mess up either of these beauties!!!! If anyone can think of any other way of doing a "heatless" trim scheme over monokote or Solite, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Reg
Old 06-14-2005, 07:41 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Covering question

Check out this thread for a great how-to on using the windex method for covering. And yes, it does work, and very very well too.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_603331/anchors_603331/mpage_1/key_flag/anchor/tm.htm#603331[/link]

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 06-15-2005, 05:31 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

I generally use water with a drop or two of dish soap in it. You smoth it out and let it wait for 24-48 hours then iron it.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:32 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

woops,
wouldn't that still give you bubbles. The bubbles come from gasses escaping the glue as it's heated. The point is to activate the glue without using heat--therefore eliminating the bubbles. Windex acts as a solvent for the glue on monocote. I don't know if it works on other brands of covering, as each brand has their own type of glue...
Old 06-15-2005, 08:34 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

2slow2matter,
I know that it will not work with Ultracote, but I don't know about the other types of coverings. As far as I know is that using windex only works on Monokote.

Ken