Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Two piece wing needs ...

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Two piece wing needs ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 11:57 AM
decombs21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two piece wing needs ...

Hey all,

I'm going to blow up some GP Super Sportster 90/120 plans 18% to achieve an 84" wingspan and need your help designing a two piece wing.

I've been looking at a measuring stick in the garage that is marked off to 8 feet long and realised that in order to transport and work on the wing CONVENIENTLY it will need to be two piece.

Does anyone have any experience with such a procedure - after all, it's not on the plans and I have no idea how to do it ... yet.

Also, I'd like to trim the new bird in some flashy colors like the fullsize aerobatic planes. Does anyone have any suggestions, tips, or leads on where to find some photos of such planes?

Dave
CentCal
Old 06-19-2005, 01:19 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Two piece wing needs ...

Most planes beyond 80 inch span attach the wings with about a one inch diameter aluminum tube. You build a tube inside the wing about 12 inches that has an inner diameter of one inch. This tube is typically made up of something light like phenolic or fibergalss or even cardboard. Then you use an aluminum tube with a outer diameter just less than the tubes in the wing. The tube should be more or less near the thickest part of the wing.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:24 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search for Gator RC, they sell the wing tubes & sleeves of all sizes.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:25 PM
decombs21

DMcQuinn,

That's right. I've seen that technique used with other models and it sounds like something I'd be interested in doing.

I've also seen the wing saddle portion of the wing built in to the fuselage to which the outer wing panels are attached using such tubes.

So, if anyone can point me to some plans or drawings that I can incorporate into my next model project I'd appreciate it. Do you suppose the vendors of such tubes have suggestions in this regard? Hmmm ...

Dave
CentCal
Old 06-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Jimmbbo

If not already called for in the plans, sheeting at least the inner two rib bays provides additional strength and torsional stiffness lost by not gluing the root ribs together.

Additonally, installing a locating pin parallel to the main spar near the trailing edge of the root ribs keeps the wing panel chord lines aligned.

Cheers!

Jim
Old 06-19-2005, 07:05 PM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can also check with the glider/sailplane folks.they have been using 2 to 3 piece wings for many years.back in the controline days alot of the large multi engine planes,ie b-36[112.5"],connie[74"],c-46 [55"] used three piece wings.where the center section including the engines were built as one piece with the fuselage and the wingtips detached.there was a box built into the center section that the tip had a solid type of toungue for about a bay or two slid into and was held in place with screws.hostettler uses somewhat the same technique with his large scale plans at least on the pt-19 plan i built from.