Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Using different servos with NiMH packs

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Using different servos with NiMH packs

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 11:41 PM
CJKling
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using different servos with NiMH packs

Guys,
Why do some manufacturer's (i.e. Futaba) say things like "If using NiMH or Li-Po batteries, make sure they are capable of delivering sufficient Amps." Is it because the servo can draw a higher amperage than a NiMH can supply? Is there a difference between the amperage of a NiMH and a NiCd? Thanks all, Just curious because I'm running 4 high torque hitecs off of an 1800milliamp NiMH pack...
Old 06-24-2005, 11:56 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Using different servos with NiMH packs

The internal resistance of NiMH batteries are higher than NiCads, so they won't deliver high current as well. You can double the packs, though and cut that resistance effectively in half. so you could run two 900 mAh packs, have better current flow, with the same capacity as one 1800 mAh pack. You can use a "Y" connector, or just hook the second pack to any available receiver channel. Just make sure the packs are in parallel, not series. Just add another 1800 pack, you'll have better current availability, and double your present capacity.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:34 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's kind of a thing of the past. You can now get NiMh battery packs with less internal resistance than NiCd. Look at NoBS batteries on Hangtime Hobbies website. The internal resistance of the standard NiMh packs are 20 milli ohms. The new ones are as little as 5 milli ohms. I bought one for my Giant scale plane and they are great batteries that can handle a bunch of high torque servos.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:36 AM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome-I'll check it out. I've got an upcoming project that will be using 6 high torque servos, and I want some high capacity batteries for it without having to resort to a "car battery" sized NiCad pack. Thanks for the info.