Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

CAn I use a rc car motor in a combat plane

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

CAn I use a rc car motor in a combat plane

Old 06-27-2005, 02:58 PM
themanimal
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAn I use a rc car motor in a combat plane

I have a .21 motor out of an R/C monster truck..can i use this in a spad combat plane. I'm thinking i can attach a prop with lock nuts. Any thoughts?
Old 06-27-2005, 04:39 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: CAn I use a rc car motor in a combat plane

Probably no. The engine workings are basically identical to RC plane engines (except the large cooling head on a car motor, which is no big deal.) However, you probably won't have the right surface to mount the prop not to mention the crank might be a bit short. If you can find a thrust washer that will fit the engine, then it might be useable. The thrust washer is a must to keep load off the bearing or case housing. While it may "work" to jamb the prop between two nuts which is what I think you ment, I'd consider this extremely dangerous. Without the thrust washer, you are much better of just getting a RC engine that was designed for aircraft. Cheers
Old 04-21-2014, 01:27 AM
Pecanpatch

Originally Posted by JohnW
Probably no. The engine workings are basically identical to RC plane engines (except the large cooling head on a car motor, which is no big deal.) However, you probably won't have the right surface to mount the prop not to mention the crank might be a bit short. If you can find a thrust washer that will fit the engine, then it might be useable. The thrust washer is a must to keep load off the bearing or case housing. While it may "work" to jamb the prop between two nuts which is what I think you ment, I'd consider this extremely dangerous. Without the thrust washer, you are much better of just getting a RC engine that was designed for aircraft. Cheers
I am going to do this......... as a Machinist, I will make it happen.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:32 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Even if you can attach a prop to the engine and keep it on, it still won't work. Car engines are ported for much higher RPM, which means they make jack squat for power at lower RPM. With the size prop you'll need to fly your plane properly, you'll be so down on power the plane may not even fly at all. An aircraft glow engine in this size is not expensive, so get what you really need.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:47 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried one, the drive washer was a bit of a problem, as was fitting an rc carb (no big deal in this case) The thread is a bit short, so a stepped nut is needed, usually, and a drilled prop to fit. The timing is fine on the Axial, kind of tame for a pipe even. Got a Picco .05 P0 on the way maybe if I can work out the weak crank. The Axial, I cut off the threaded portion, and softened the crank, drilled and tapped it 10-32. 1/4" - 28 looked like it would weaken the bearing area. I am still looking for a cheap Novarossi .28 to somehow sneak into the house. I could buy a new airplane type reasonably now too ($160), but they used to be $400.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fora and Axial 002.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	1988643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fora and Axial 004.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	1988644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fora and Axial 003.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	1988645  

Last edited by aspeed; 04-21-2014 at 05:56 AM.