Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sig Lite-Coat & Lacquer Thinner question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sig Lite-Coat & Lacquer Thinner question

Old 07-06-2005, 11:38 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Sig Lite-Coat & Lacquer Thinner question

I have always used Lacquer Thinner to thin Sig nitrate dope. My LHS has not been able to get any Sig Nitrate dope in and my plane is ready to have the covering sealed. I have used Sig Koverall applied with Sig Stix-it to cover the plane. My LHS did have Sig-Lite coat dope. Can I use the Lacquer thinner to thin the lite-coat dope? And once I have it sealed can I use Rustolum paint over the Lite-coat dope?
Old 07-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Gollywock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Lite-Coat & Lacquer Thinner question

Jim- To begin with. Sig Lite-Coat (butyrate) won't fill the weave nearly as good as nitrate. Sounds to me like your LHS didn't try to get it.
You can thin butyrate with lacquer thinner, but I would use automotive lacquer thinner rather than the cheap hardware store stuff, as it has a much slower evaporation rate. I use quite a bit of nitrate, and since most hobby shops don't even know what nitrate dope is, I depend entirely on mail-order. One other thing, if you have trouble with the dope 'blushing', you can thin with retarder, also available from Sig. Someone else will have to answer the Rustoleum thing as I always use colored butyrate over nitrate. Jim
PS- the cheap thinner is good for clean up- Jim
Old 07-06-2005, 01:34 PM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Sig Lite-Coat & Lacquer Thinner question

Jim

Thanks for the feed back. I guess from now on I will have to order my Nitrate dope from mail order. I will use the Lite-coat to seal the covering I have now and I will use a test panel to see if the Rustolum paint will work on it.