Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

source for small 'pop' rivets?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

source for small 'pop' rivets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 01:49 PM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default source for small 'pop' rivets?

Looking for some small pop rivets for lithoplate. The smallest ones I have found are for 3/16ths to 1/4'' thickness. Any help? Thanks, Bill S.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:54 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: source for small 'pop' rivets?

Bill: I don't know if they have pop rivets but try microfasteners.com. ph 1-800-892-6917 Good Luck ENJOY !!! RED
Old 07-06-2005, 09:00 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill do you need Pop rivets or can you use regular rivets. You are correct regarding the small end of the scale but you can find regular rivets a good bit smaller also made from aluminium in McMaster Carr.

Also regular rivets are easy enough to make, if you don't have too many to do of course, by bradding over the end of aluminium welding rod and cutting it off then bradding over the backside like you would do with any other rivet.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:22 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Bill- are you wanting to actually rivet the lithoplate to itself or something else, or are the rivets for scale appearance? The reference to microfasteners above is a good one, I have two sizes of theirs, one is aluminum and the other is brass. The lithoplate application works well with contact cement, just make sure you've got it aligned when you apply it. I used aluminum flashing on the forward part of my L-4, put it on with contact cement, and then put the rivets in for looks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61790.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	294532  
Old 07-06-2005, 10:38 PM
wsmalley

I actually wanted to rivet some pieces together. The Micro Fastener place has the little 'button' head #2 screws which I use a lot of to screw litho pieces to balsa or other wood. They look pretty scale. Didn't see any pop rivets though. I like litho, it's easier to work than flashing-softer, I believe. I use a tracing wheel which makes great looking 'rivets' when done on the reverse side. Contact cement works well also, but I sure would like some small pop rivets.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:19 PM
tom czenthe

What is your source for lithoplate ??????
Old 07-07-2005, 03:17 PM
wsmalley

I got the litho from a newspaper. Its been awhile and I need a resupply, I assume newspapers are still using it to print on. I did a test and it's definitely softer than aluminum flashing. The pics are a door of a Fiesler 'Storch'-litho with rivets made with dressmaker's tracing wheel, front windshield panels with Micro Fastener's #2 button head screws. and a Grumman 'Duck' canopy with aluminum tape from an auto parts store with rivets done with the tracing wheel. Nice L4-looks like a Saito 80-at least that's what I have in my Storch. I don't have the patience for the epoxy dot rivet making process-that would put me totally over the edge!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84599.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	294712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33457.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	294713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14312.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	294714  
Old 07-07-2005, 04:32 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice looking construction wsmalley, fine attention to detail. I'm going to try lithoplate next time, a guy in our club said our local paper throws loads of it away, it's free for the asking. The flashing was a bit of a challenge, stiffer and has a memory, harder to curve without creasing it. The engine in the L-4 is a .65
Old 07-07-2005, 06:08 PM
wsmalley

Thanks! If you note, in pic 2, upper right, that's litho made for the wing covering between the 'glasshouse' fuse and the wing root. That stuff is so easy to use, cut it with scissors-but don't tell everyone, the paper won't have any left! Also in that pic most of the area is bolted together with-I think-00-80 (wee, tiny) brass hex bolts and nuts. They make a fine addition too.