Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

pros / cons to hitec spectra

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

pros / cons to hitec spectra

Old 07-07-2005, 07:44 AM
isaacsgs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pros / cons to hitec spectra

I understand most of the pros, but is there any cons to using the Hitec Spectra Module?
Old 07-07-2005, 08:40 AM
ecmiller

Default RE: pros / cons to hitec spectra

This post is not intended to bash the manufacture as radio gear is a personal preference. I prefer to not use Hitec.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:04 AM
skypupmut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have been using the spectra for 3 years and over 700 flights wit nothing but good results
in my eclipse and prism tx
used it also in a couple of futabas for tests ( all good )

Jean
Old 07-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used the Spectra for years, have two, one in an old Prism and one in 3 year old Eclipse and find them to be excellent performers. The only weak spot I've encountered is that the clip on the case of my oldest Spectra module has broken off. It does not effect the perfect electrical performanc however, just makes the module a little harder to remove from the transmitter. In short I LIKE IT!!
Old 07-07-2005, 12:37 PM
bbbair

I am in agreement with the comments from Skypupmut and Rodney it is a great piece of kit. Very reliable, programming is easy (with the book handy) and it feels good in your hands.

However; if I had the ability to make minor changes;

I would have the flaps as a on off switch for landing - currently it is a rotary knob that you have to 'feel for' and you can inadvertantly rotate it either positive OR negative the potential for problems does exist.

The trim switches are digital and work very well, but you do not 'KNOW" how much trim you have added by looking at the transmitter.

That's it! No Problems; just observations and preferances.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:47 PM
isaacsgs

which radio are you referring too? The post was about the spectra module, which can be used on several radios, ie eclipse and optic 6 just to name too.

Old 07-07-2005, 02:22 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

My biggest fear is changing the frequency at the field and forgetting to get the pin for the new frequency. If I were in a club that had alot of conflicts, or traveled to contests regularly I could see that it would be valuable. As it is, I've only had to share the pin with another person once in the last year, and that was while visiting another club.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:32 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you need it, such as at a field with a large number of flyers, or as Chuck stated, going to a lot of fly-ins, they are great. I had one for a couple of years and changed frequencys a couple of times at events. I always carried a couple of extra crystals so I could change. After a while though, I seldom changed it. We tend to have a small groups of flyers locally so conflicts were not a problem. When I purchased a new radio, it was not even considered. Like Rodney, one of the tabs broke off, but did not cause a problem. I just wraped a piece of tape around it with a tab hanging out to remove it.
If you need it, it will serve you well, if you don't need it, it's just extra expense.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:49 PM
DamonTX

I've been using a Spectra module in my Futaba 8UAF since a hobby shop owner suggested in in 1998. Never had a problem with the equipment but I've always kept it in the back of my mind to be very careful with changing my frequency pin at the field before changing channels.

So to answer you're questions about the cons of having one, I'd just have to say make sure you have an above average regemented start-up procedure when getting to the field.

Damon
Old 07-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damon, in case you were not aware, using the Spectra in any transmitter other than a Hitec is illeagle in the USA, it has not been type accepted in any other brand of transmitters. Using it in different transmitter nullifies your insurance and is thus not allowed at most flying sites.
One of the biggest advantages of the Spectra for me is that I am often called on to check out other people gear and with the Eclipse and Spectra, I can operate any shift or brand receiver on any of the allowed frequencies in the 72MHZ band. The only dissadvantage is that it does draw more current than many transmitters do.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:36 PM
bhole74

ORIGINAL: bbbair

I am in agreement with the comments from Skypupmut and Rodney it is a great piece of kit. Very reliable, programming is easy (with the book handy) and it feels good in your hands.

However; if I had the ability to make minor changes;

I would have the flaps as a on off switch for landing - currently it is a rotary knob that you have to 'feel for' and you can inadvertantly rotate it either positive OR negative the potential for problems does exist.

The trim switches are digital and work very well, but you do not 'KNOW" how much trim you have added by looking at the transmitter.

That's it! No Problems; just observations and preferances.

If you will scroll through the menu screen, you will find a LAND mode which you can set up your flaps as an on/off flip of the switch.
I also have been using the spectra for several years and have had no problems.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:03 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Hitec Spectra synth system has been around quite a while now, I think close to 10 years and was the first of the reasonable priced Tx synth systems. The original Hitec Tx that it was developed for was the Hitec Prism 7, 7X and more recently the Eclipse 7 and the Optic 6.

Some folks confuse the Spectra synth module with the Eclipse Tx, Not the same thing. Eclipse is the currant top line Hitec Tx and the Specra module is just the synth RF module. Hitec also makes single frequency modules and those Radios are also sold without the Spectra synth module, something to be careful about when buying a new or use Hitec Tx. To buy a new or used one with a single freqency module is akin to buying a car without wheels a complete waste.

For any that are interested more confussion is sometimes caused by an older top line Airtronnics Tx module type known as the Airtronnics Spectra PCM 7. I love my old one but this does not have anything to do with Hitec or the Spectra module.

I currently use four Prism 7X's and one Eclipse 7, all with the Spectra modules, having obtained the the first when they first arrived on the market ten years ago and would never be without the versatility agine. lets talk about the versatility thing first, The synth module is only half the battle and a radio without a modulation shift selectability is only going to give yost half the versatility. Among the four majors only Hitec and Airtronnics offer shift select on some models, problem here is Airtronnics does not offer a synth module and agine only half the versatility. Futaba only recently come out with an affordable synth module but agine with the synth module and no shift selectability Only half the versatility.

In the last tens years I have averaged about 320 days a year flying only recently slowing a bit and would not want to guess at the number of flight. The three oldest Spectra modules were returned for a heath check several years ago and all three were still within limits and got a minor tweek. Reliability of my five units is batting 100%.

Most who really use this system will find that the ability to change because someone else is on your frequency actually is minor and as indicated by others above is not used real often. The real benefit comes as your fleet grows, we all tend to accumulate airplanes flight packs etc along the way from all sorts of directions and not just stuff you ordered new to match your Tx. This is where the Combination of synth and shift select comes into play and will be very much appriciated as you go.

Rodney already indicated the only down side is the weak plastic tabs that hold it in. I,ve broken one but it will not fall out as he said just makes it a pain to remove in a hurry. In my case I just called Hitec and they sent out a new case no charge and only took a couple of minutes to install. Thats the only down i can think of. As far as my newest Tx. the Eclipse also one of the first on the market,
I like it just fine while it won,t do power crow or duel elevator servos on two channels I could care less and I do fly a wide variety of aircraft from slow old timers to 165 mph pylon racers and some complex twin, triple and quad engined aircraft. Its a fine radio.

All I can say is I will never agine use a Tx that does not have 1. shift selectability (something I suspect you will never see on a Futaba product) and 2. a synth module.

John[8D]-

Almost forgot, as indicated by Rodney it is well known that it is illegal to use the Spectra module in something other than the Prism 7,7X, Eclipse 7 or the Optic 6. Only just a couple of years ago this was the subject of coverage in Model Aviation that included direct interveiws from the FCC stating that this is contrary to FCC regulation.

Agine only recently slowing a bit I have attended a lot of events both competitive and fly/in an do remember at least two instances where someone using a Futaba Tx with the Spectra module was not allow to fly with it untill the Futaba module was replaced.

I can also remember warnings about this from the AMA as a CD.

Old 07-08-2005, 09:42 AM
skypupmut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I modified my eclipse ( made a hole ) tx case so I do not have to pull the spectra out to change freq. or check what freq. it is on.
very practical and easy to do with a mototool.

Jean