Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Help with Sullivan Smoke (Skywriter)

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Help with Sullivan Smoke (Skywriter)

Old 07-18-2005, 11:19 PM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Sullivan Smoke (Skywriter)

Ok,

Got the Sullivan Skywriter to work with my DA 50 today and boy does it smoke! I attached a 3cell (11.1V) Lipo pack to run it. The pump doesn't seem to engage at low end of the throttle range. Essentially when I get about 1/3rd throttle, it kicks in. Part of the problem is that the pump seems to want to pump in too much fluid when it first engages and I have had to compensate for this with the program mix. On my Futaba 9Cap, I use a program mix (Pmix #5, Throttle master, channel 8 slave) that I start at +100% on low-end and then -32% through the rest of the graph. The pump won't come on at anything closer to zero. It will speed up however as I go closer to -100%. At -32% it is pumping too much even for high throttle setting but obviously I can't set it any lower, as stated above, or it won't pump.

How do I deal with this problem? I'd like to see if there is a more elegant solution to this than just pinching the hose...that defeats the purpose of a "variable pump." Am I doing something wrong in the Pmix? Would a lower voltage battery fix things?

Thanks for any help!

John
Old 07-22-2005, 09:10 PM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help with Sullivan Smoke (Skywriter)

Well, no replies but that's ok [] For those who may have the same problem, here goes...

I discovered that the problem is in the size of pack one chooses to run the device. It is rated between 4.8v and 12v. It appears the current is not regulated however. I tried a 4.8v pack and it pushes the smoke oil at a much lower rate on the low end of the throttle curve. Problem solved.