Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Where to Fly in the Bay Area????

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Where to Fly in the Bay Area????

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 09:37 PM
joe84780
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to Fly in the Bay Area????

I'm pretty frustrated right now!!! Where to fly?

Does anyone know of a good open space in the SF Bay Area to fly my .40 size plane. I did the club thing for 3 years, but I'm tired of it and just want a place away from people. There's not much open space in the Bay Area so it's pretty slim pickings. Any Ideas anyone?

All the schools are locked up, so that's a no go.
I'm about ready to switch to a little park flyer because I can't find a large enough space to fly in. Any advice would be helpfull. Thanks
Old 07-24-2005, 07:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts
Default RE: Where to Fly in the Bay Area????

We used to fly in the parking lot of a music festival place in Mountian View near Pek's Hobbies.

I suppose someone probably parked a building on it by now.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Pubhi
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what city do you live in? I live in union city and I fly near the dumbarton bridge. If you take thornton rd and head towards newark, you will see a spot on your right side where all the companies start. Its an open marsh or somesort and there is enough room to land and takeoff, for a trainer atleast. Just watch out for the ranger because they don't like people disturbing the love making birds. They don't come around much so it shouldn't be a problem. There are also some places in newark, near stevenson blvd and mowry. There is some construction going on there but last time i checked it was just an open space. It is directly opposite of the school there. If you need some specific directions then ask away.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:05 PM
joe84780
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks Pubhi,

I live in Hayward, so I'll check those places out. I was at Cal State Hayward this morning and tried to fly, but some guy decided to park in the middle of my makeshift runway right when I was about to take off. He had the whole parking lot to park in, but he has to park 1 space away from me to try and watch. People are always curious and want to take a look which I understand is natural, but most of them don't realize they are in the way. I'm not flying a 3D plane, so I can't stop on a dime. God forbid I should accidentally hit them or their cars. They'll sue me! Same thing happened last weekend. Family of 5 with little kids parked at the very end of my runway and proceded to sit down and try and watch. Fortunately I had landed and was in the middle of a battery change. Ended up packing up and leaving. Oh well!
Old 07-25-2005, 07:30 AM
FenceMagnet
My Feedback: (2)

"Does anyone know of a good open space in the SF Bay Area "

oh..... from the title, I wasn't sure which "Bay Area" you were referring to.... [X(]

[:-]
Old 07-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Pubhi
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: joe84780

Thanks Pubhi,

I live in Hayward, so I'll check those places out. I was at Cal State Hayward this morning and tried to fly, but some guy decided to park in the middle of my makeshift runway right when I was about to take off. He had the whole parking lot to park in, but he has to park 1 space away from me to try and watch. People are always curious and want to take a look which I understand is natural, but most of them don't realize they are in the way. I'm not flying a 3D plane, so I can't stop on a dime. God forbid I should accidentally hit them or their cars. They'll sue me! Same thing happened last weekend. Family of 5 with little kids parked at the very end of my runway and proceded to sit down and try and watch. Fortunately I had landed and was in the middle of a battery change. Ended up packing up and leaving. Oh well!

I know what you mean...I don't really like it when people watch even though I would have the same exact thing. There are plenty of open spots near cyote hills/newark area, its just a matter of finding a good spot. You won't always have the best of runways so you gotta make do with what you have. Just be careful if you are flying near cyote hills because there a little helicopter flying club and they aren't easy to spot.