Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fueling methods? (valves versus T's with Dots)

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fueling methods? (valves versus T's with Dots)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 11:34 AM
Blackie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fueling methods? (valves versus T's with Dots)

I have a question concerning fueling methods. I was curious to know if someone could please tell me if it really matters what type of setup I use, be it a fueling valve or a simple T with a fueling Dot. If I optioned to use a T with dot over the valve and made sure the carb was completely closed no matter what engine or pump system I was using be it on the engine or pumping fuel to tank would I have to worry about flooding the carb?

Thanks
Randy
Old 10-17-2002, 01:30 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Closing the carb just closes the airflow, the fuel will still go in. I use T's on my YS91 but the pump won't let fuel into the carb. You could get a pair of hemostats to pinch the line between the T and the carb.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:40 PM
Blackie

OK thanks minnflyer, got it.

Randy
Old 10-17-2002, 01:44 PM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

If you want to use a dot it's best to go with a three line system. Then you don't have to worry about flooding or clamping.
The third line is plumbed to the bottom of the tank in what is pretty much a mirror image of the vent line at the top of the tank. This allows you to defuel. Alternatively, you could make the third line a second clunk for the same reason.
At that point, you just run the fueling (third) line out of the plane somewhere and plug it when not in use. Actually, I just use a screw for this rather than a storebought fuel dot. Make the hole in the cowl or fuse just large enough for the fuel line to pass through. When you insert the screw, it will press the line against the sides of the hole, keeping it firmly in place.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:12 PM
Blackie

Thanks for that info G.F.
Randy
Old 10-19-2002, 01:27 AM
TerrellFlyer

I use a three line system with two dots,looks nice,all other fuelers I've used flooded the engine,including a tee,plus the fuel dot is easy to install.
Have a goodun,John.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:21 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by G.F. Reid

The third line is plumbed to the bottom of the tank in what is pretty much a mirror image of the vent line at the top of the tank. This allows you to defuel.
Hi Greg, just a basic question - How do you squeeze the brass tubes into the tank opening with both tubes bent wide apart ? Sounds kinda tricky. Thanks...........
Old 10-25-2002, 09:02 AM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Not that tricky. The brass tubes are easy to rotate before you tighten the plug screw. You just rotate them both in the same direction. Once you've got it in place, rotate the vent tube to the top and the fueling tube to the bottom, then tighten the screw.
Actually, I prefer the second clunk and line method. With the bent tube, not only do you have to contend with the two bent tubes but you have to tilt the plane level (if it's a taildragger, as all of mine are) to completely empty the tank. Never had any problem with the tubes getting tangled.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:40 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

When I set up my DP Ultimate I didn't want the lines of the plane spoiled by see fuel lines. I also didn't want to have to cut the fiberglass cowl for fuel lines. I used fuel dots with T's to fuel and defuel my plane. I also used one-way valves in both the fuel intake and the pressure line. Since I have a YS motor on the plane I had to use the one way valve on the pressure line (the one-way keeps pressure on the fuel tank). I put a T in between the one-way and the tank on the pressure line. When I fuel my plane I plug the fueling line into the fuel supply side fuel dot. and then I put a 6" length of line plugged into the dot on the pressure side. this lets the overflow drain out of the plane when the tank is full. I've never had any problems with fuel going into the carb.

Hope this helps