Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering question regarding Seams. Please help!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering question regarding Seams. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 06:09 PM
ebeygin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering question regarding Seams. Please help!

Hi guys,

I've read a lot about covering, and I've pretty much got a good handle on things. The only thing that is not clear to me, is the optimal way to connect the top and bottom pieces (mostly for stabs, fins, and etc). Where should the seam be? Some say to cut the bottom piece in the middle of the edge, and then the top piece to overlap it just a bit past the half-way point of the egde.. others say overlap the top piece all the way to the bottom. What looks the best, and what is the most common practice? Thanks for your help.

-eugn
Old 07-31-2005, 10:40 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Covering question regarding Seams. Please help!

I assume you're using MonoKote, or similar. It's always 'cleaner' looking if the seams are hidden on the bottom of the fuse. stab, wing, etc; not always possible to hide all the seams on the fuse, but wherever they are, I try to make the overlapped edge point in the same direction as airflow. An example would be the trailing edge of the wing. I hide as much of the seam in the aileron bay as possible, and the rest, I roll the top cover over the trailing edgeand about a 1/4 inch forward on the underside, then bring the underside cover to the trailing edge, overlapping the 1/4 inch, and cut it flush with the edge. Wingtips I overlap the top cover over the edge and over the bottom coverby about 1/4 inch.
On the vertical stab, impossible to hide it but if the edge of the cover overlaps each other along the edge of the stab and is a straight cut, it looks pretty clean.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:04 PM
ecmiller

What he said!!

Old 08-02-2005, 09:14 AM
ebeygin

Thanks for your help!

-eugn