Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Avistar wing....

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Avistar wing....

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 09:07 PM
mathyoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avistar wing....

So far in my attempt to remove the dihedral and add anhedral, all ive managed to do was cut the wing in two, now i'm stuck, and I have a few questions....

How should I glue the two halves together?

Does it need a brace?

fiberglass?

Do I need to trim the fuse?

etc?

Basically I just need some help, because I have no idea what im doing....
Old 08-15-2005, 09:22 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Avistar wing....

First, a couple of questions ---

Why do you want to add anhedral, when zero dihedral works very well?

What do you mean by trimming the fuse?

To answer your questions --

Repair the inner ribs, if necessary, where you cut them appart.

Slot the ribs behind the old dihedral brace to accept a new 1/4 ply brace (straight, or otherwise) against the back of the old brace

Slot the ribs behind the leading edge spar to accept a 1/8 ply brace to be inserted against the back of the LE spar.

Epoxy the whole mess together, carefully aligning everything to get it straight (& flat, or whatever) -- don't use 5 min epoxy.

Make & insert balsa wedges to glue into the V-shaped gap at the end ribs (if necessary).

Cap the joint with 1/32 sheet (grain crosswise) to fit in the fuse between the wing saddles on the underside, & a similar width on the top side.

Recover & go flying -- with this mod you won't need to fiberglass the joint

Old 08-15-2005, 10:13 AM
mathyoo

I did this because I was bored, it was different, and I thought it looked cool. Besides, its just an avistar right?

Anyway, in addition to bracing it up, anything else I should do while my plane is ripped open?
Old 08-15-2005, 11:27 AM
britbrat

--- just an Avistar. I have had a number of Avistars over the years (I get mine on the cheap from bored students) -- great little planes -- not boring at all.

If you add anhedral, don't put in more than ~1 deg.

I would suggest that you put in dual aileron servos --- that will reduce the liklihood of flutter with those strip ailerons.

Increase the rudder & elevator area a bit by adding material to the trailing edges (don't go overboard).

Max the throws.

Use a good .46 for power (a TT Pro or OS FX/AX are good choices).

Close-in the nose to improve penetration.

Convert the wing to bolt-on.

Convert the LG to taildragger.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:30 PM
mathyoo

If you don't mind could I get some details/tips on these...

Close-in the nose to improve penetration.

Convert the wing to bolt-on.

thanks
Old 08-15-2005, 03:03 PM
britbrat

Here are a couple of nose-jobs. The Superstar has a home-grown bolt-on wing. Those are full-house nose jobs, but you can make simple balsa or plastic fill-ins on the existing "cheek" noses.

The bolt-on thingy is done by inserting & glueing a 1/4" dowel in the leading edge of the wing on the mid-line -- it slides into a re-inforced hole that you drill in the bulkhead at the "head" of the wing saddle. The trailing edge is held down by bolting through a ply re-inforcing pad, glued onto the trailing edge area above the rear of the wing saddle. The 1/4-20 nylon hold-down bolts screw into tapped holes in hardwood blocks that are glued & screwed to the fuse sides & wing-saddle rear bulkhead, beneath the bolt holes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74953.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	310496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24124.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	310497  
Old 08-15-2005, 03:28 PM
mathyoo

Also what would happen if I put too much anhedral into it?
Old 08-15-2005, 05:02 PM
britbrat

There's a very good chance that you couldn't fly it. It would be unstable in roll & pitch.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Built stock, the Avistar will roll in the direction of rudder. With a flat wing it will still roll in the direction of rudder. You need 3 degrees of anhedral on each side to counter the roll. Either that or downward end plates extending about 3/4 inch below the wing and flush on top. 3 degrees is right at 1.5 inches on each side of 3 inches total anhedral.

If you have too much anhedral, the plane will roll opposite to the rudder, right rudder, left roll. It takes a lot of anhedral to get a big roll. Normally, you have to put in rudder and hold it to see the roll. If there is too much anhedral, when you enter knife edge, the plane will try to roll inverted instead of rolling out.

Here is a photo of my engine break-in Big Stick 40 with an OS .50SX I am breaking in. It has the dihedral brace reversed to give anhedral. It isn't enough and the plane still rolls out of knife edge. One of these days, I'll cut the "Stick" style tips off and put some plates on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84868.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	310541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56474.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	310542