Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

can decals be covered with clear coat?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

can decals be covered with clear coat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 09:19 PM
RCHYFLYER
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can decals be covered with clear coat?

I have a TF Cessna and want to put my decals on before i clear it with automotive clear does anyone know if the decals will hold up?
Old 08-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Camel_Kid

Default RE: can decals be covered with clear coat?

They should... you should try on an inexpensive model car first, though...or ones you don't plan to put on the plane... Some kits come with decals for two different looks... some just have decals that are so horrid, you wouldn't want to put them on the model.

Try a test piece first, but I'm sure they'll be fine with clear coat being sprayed on them.

- Camel.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:41 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

For some of my models I have made a few decals myself and I covered them with a rustolum clear to keep the nitro from ruining the decal plus the ink. Do what camel-kid suggests; practice with a scrap piece first and see what happens. Personally I think it should be fine.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If your testing yields unsatisfactory results....i.e. they melt when hit with the automotive clear--then you can use clear nail polish.

Paint the plane and clear it. Then apply the decals and brush them lightly with clear nail polish. When ever I run out--I get my wife to go out and buy more.[:-]
Old 08-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another trick to keep the finish from ruining the decals is to first coat the applied decals with a thin coat of white glue thinned in water. Let it dry then put the clear coat over the dried glue.