Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ultracote vs solarfilm

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ultracote vs solarfilm

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 02:59 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultracote vs solarfilm

I am building the Adrian Page 1/5 scale Gee Bee R2. It will be covered in white film and the red scallops will be painted on. I have spoken to Mr Page and he recommended 21st centry film or the black baron film. I searched the numerous posts on the matter and didn't really find what I am looking for. I am thinking of using Ultracote on it, howeverm solarfilm has caught my attention lately. I have had good experiences with the Ultracote in the past.
Ultracote does well around curves and shrinks good, but my favorite property is that it can be taken off and all of it comes off. I have had some very bad experiences getting Monocote off. The film comes off and leaves the color and adhesive stuck to the frame. The ultracote doesn't leave anything behind, save for a little tackyness.
What I want to know about Solarfilm is 1)Will it take well to the curves of a football shaped airplane and 2)Will it come off easily and not leave the adhesive and color behind.
Also, if anybody has anything good or bad to say about the 21st Century or Black Baron films, I would be interested.
Thanks,
Ben
Old 08-23-2005, 02:25 AM
Red B.

Default RE: Ultracote vs solarfilm

What I want to know about Solarfilm is 1)Will it take well to the curves of a football shaped airplane and 2)Will it come off easily and not leave the adhesive and color behind.
1) Yes! I find Solarfilm very easy to apply on double curvature surfaces.
2) Unfortunately, the answer is a resounding NO!

I have no experience with 21st Century or Black Baron films.

/Red B.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:49 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Solarfilm is OK as long as you don't put it in the sun. It relaxes and creases very easily, no matter how tight you shrink it. If you live in colder climes it should be OK, but anywhere in the southern US not OK. I have used Solarfilm, Monokote and Oracover/Ultracote and several others. Use Ultracote, or if you can't get it, Monokote.

Safe Flying!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:16 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

Thank you for the quick responses. It sounds like my old favorite Ultarcote is the right choice. South Louisiana certainly isn't a cold climate! This will be a challenge to cover well with as little pieces as possible.
Red, having the covering come off is very important for me as I almost always rebuild crashes. I have bought a few planes from people and done some work on planes covered in MK and it takes longer to get the covering off than to do the repair.
Ben