Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Softing the ride on a trailer?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Softing the ride on a trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 04:58 PM
Blackie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softing the ride on a trailer?

Here are a few ideas that I have thought about trying and all would have a significance change in the way your trailer rides. One way would be to add more weight at the buoyancy point. Second way would be to replace the springs entirely with leaf springs from a Toyota car, or mentioned choice, remove a spring while also adding a barrier so that the springs don't bend backwards causing a break. Third way would be to replace the drive suspension with torsion though may be pricey.

Adding weight with perhaps 1/4" to 3/8" steel plate measured to the bed of trailer for buoyancy would help in a soft ride.

Since trailer springs are short and stiff, by replacing them with one long spring from a Toyota car would add a soft ride to the trailer.

If optioned to remove a spring then it would be wise to add a bushing of some sort to act as a stop so springs won't bend and break, a board would work ok but a rubber stopper would be better.

Does anyone else have any other ideas of how to do this?

Randy
Old 10-24-2002, 05:28 PM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default .

how bout tandem wheels? i believe the suspension is more forgiving.......a 1/4 inch steel plate would weight wayyy too much for the trailor imho.....
Old 10-24-2002, 05:35 PM
Blackie

tinman, thanks for the response, but wouldn't a tandem axle give the trailer a stiffer ride. Reason I ask this is that you would be adding extra springs instead of fewer springs. When I say 1/4" plate, it would only be cut to the size of my trailer and laid on the floor only, which is but only 4' X 8', I think that would be ok.

Have you seen the pics of my trailer yet just curious?

Randy
Old 10-24-2002, 06:07 PM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

Just called dear old Dad. He sells steel. A 4 x 8 1/4" plate would weigh 330 lbs.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:18 PM
TerrellFlyer

Iuse tires with very little ply on the sides and under inflate,helps my ride.Trailer is a 5'w x 8'l x6'tall converted U Haul trailer,probably 30,40 thousand miles on tires,no problem.
Have a goodun,John.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:27 PM
tinman

Default .

i believe tandoms would have a longer spring and with good tires as stated above it should ride great.....i want one of those old mailman trucks (box) myself or one of the old time milk trucks...anyone remember those? the ones that the driver could stand or sit while driving? that would be a perfect vehicle with new motor and all.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:33 PM
TerrellFlyer

I remember some of them had a mule or hourse pulling them,I'm not getting older just gathering more experence.
Have a goodun,John.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:37 PM
tinman

Default .

lmao...jus how old a feller are you anyway john?
Old 10-24-2002, 08:40 PM
Blackie

So if I decided to go with only an extra 100 pounds I could get away with say half of that steel plate right flatfour?
Old 10-24-2002, 09:44 PM
TerrellFlyer

55,came from small farm town,Waycross, Ga. before touring the big world,have old pictures of grandparents Sinclair gas station/farm/home,with fellow delivering milk to store in a wagon being pulled by goats,we always called him the goatman. Gas was .16 per gal.Just now reaching the good years.
Have a goodun,John.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:53 PM
SHARK

I believe the ratio between the unsprung (wheels, etc) weight and the sprung weight has a lot to do with the ride of a trailer - or car for that matter. Lightweight- like aluminum -wheels or suspension parts can go up and down quicker without transfering so much movement to the upper parts.
I'm 55 also and remember horse drawn buggys being used by the rag man and other delivery men. Those horses weren't anything like "Silver" the firey (sp?) steed on the Lone Ranger movies.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:25 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

If I'm not mistaken the best ride is available from torsion bar suspension on trailers. After some extensive research I purchased a 14' x 7' tandem axle trailer with the torsion bar suspension for hauling my models. It appears to ride very well, it's really kind of hard to know for sure, i.e. I have never rode along in the back... I am very happy with ride. I often place item's on the floor of the trailer unsecured and then travel hundreds of miles to find the boxes, crates, fuel jugs and such exactly were I left them. This makes me believe the suspension is doing it's job rather well. If memory serves me the tandem suspension helps absorb the shock and road resonance better than single axle equipped trailers. Four air filled tires has got to be good for something...