Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Career opportunities with R/C

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Career opportunities with R/C

Old 09-20-2005, 10:01 AM
PYR0BURN23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Career opportunities with R/C

A question that probably poisons a lot of r/cers, is how can I make a living doing what I love? What different opportunities are out there, how to get involved in them, getting the right qualifications, etc. There isn't really a specific target for this post, just looking to chat about what ideas people have towards being involved in the business world of radio control.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:46 AM
bhole74

Default RE: Career opportunities with R/C

A wise person once told me not to make a hobby which I enjoyed into a living because it wouldn't be as much fun. He was right. I learned the hard way, twice.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:47 AM
CP140

I don't have any answers for you, but one suggestion. Be careful about doing your fun hobby as a job or you may find that, your hobby is now work and you'll need to take time off to get away from it rather than getting away from it by enjoying your hobby.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:49 AM
CP140

How 'bout that?!? two posts saying the same thing in 40 seconds?!?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:23 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I can't agree more. I used to have a hobby of computers/networks and I started business doing it for a living. While I still enjoy doing it, it's not the same anymore. It's a job. When I get home for the day I go to my building table and only use the computer as a tool anymore.

Just remember, there is a difference between work and play. When you try to make playing work, it's usually not very fun anymore.

ken
Old 09-20-2005, 11:38 AM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lot of truth to what the others said but I'll try a different approach. I'm close to 60 years now, so I have a little experience.

The "hobby" has many facets to it. For example, there is building models and flying them. Building can go to extremes such as some of the incredible models that you see here at RC Universe. Likewise, flying can be for fun or for competition.

I can see where one could be successful building without that effecting his enjoyment of flying.

I suggest you think of the hobby in its various segments, and then think about that.

Best of luck,
Mike
Old 09-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: PYR0BURN23

A question that probably poisons a lot of r/cers, is how can I make a living doing what I love? What different opportunities are out there, how to get involved in them, getting the right qualifications, etc. There isn't really a specific target for this post, just looking to chat about what ideas people have towards being involved in the business world of radio control.
The opportunities in any field include sales and advertising. Development is another area.

I recall Mike Cross & Ann Marie built models for other flyers. At the time, Mike was flying competition (Freestyle champ, in the 90's, I recall.) Then he want to work for Great Planes, and handles development tasks on planes and 'copters, while making appearances (probably funded by the advertising department.) Ann Marie had customer service responsibility, for a long time, and also did some development on manuals (9CAP in particular, as I recall.)

If you're a competition flyer, you could try to get a job flying for the radio manufacturers.

If you're a top builder, you can sell models or build them to custom order, for paying customers (and deal with the typical small-business headaches.)

If you're a salesman, you can get a sales job. If you're an engineer, you might design planes (to sell by yourself, or for a company). If you're into Customer Relations, you can try for that position. Business considerations always apply.

Me, I want to find someone who'll pay me to build when I want to, fly when I want to, and furnish the raw materials. No luck, so far!

Dave Olson
Old 09-20-2005, 01:12 PM
PYR0BURN23

I certainly agree with narrowing down the field to a specific part of the hobby. I'm turned off by the typical hobby shop ownership, and my thoughts relate to Scars examples of specified trades.
I'm already a builder for my LHS, so I build airplanes for store credit, which is really cool. thats step 1.... also I've recently been appointed factory pilot for them, so that brings me one step up. now I test thier airplanes, write small reviews, give specific building tips, and recieve supplies to continue learning & improving my skill, all out of their pocket.(yaay) that is my step 2. i think this is working out so far.

I think that there is a very successful, positive, profitable future to following a passion and not having your love turn astray.. I'm only 19, and it has only just begun.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:24 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Years ago, I took the corporate executive career path. I've done pretty well for myself, and I made my father proud of me. To my father's great disappointment, my younger brother took a totally different path, doing what he loves to do, but making very little money.

My income is probably at least ten times my brother's income. He is still having fun and I haven't had any fun in my work in at least twenty years.

Moral of the story: Doing what you love to do is far more important than making a lot of money. You'll sleep better at night, be healthier and wake up with a smile on your face in the morning.

You're young, so follow your dream. If it doesn't work out as you wished, you're still young enough to take up another path.

I wish you the best of luck.

Mike