Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

club dues

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 06:18 PM
willia25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default club dues

Please let me know what yoour club charges for dues. We are at 150.00 which I believe is exessive, but maybe not. I would really like to know what most clubs are charging, especially those that have a paved runway. Thanks for your input
Old 09-30-2005, 06:35 PM
nickj

Default RE: club dues

Check out the cost of repaving a 400' runway.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:19 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We charge $20, and require that you have AMA and ourchase a park pass that's another $20. We fly at a county built r/c park built over land fill and the county does all the mowing, maintenance, provides 4 portolets, etc. We have a large paved runway, three paved flying circles and one grass for the control line guys.

I moved from California and what you are paying is average for the places I belonged to there but they where in the Oxnard/ Channel Island and San Diego areas.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:32 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flying in local unused farm field............................................. ...................$0
Grass mowing (done by pilot that owns small landscaping company)............$0
Gallon of 10%............................................... ....................................$15.99
Spending the day flying with the guys.............................................. .Priceless

Sean
Old 09-30-2005, 08:55 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

our club has for the last 15 years charged 50 dollars for dues and now with costs of everything going up, especially mowing we are thinking of raising dues to 75 dollars. We have a little under 80 members. We pay for rental of the property, rental for a porta-potty, mowing and any other improvements. I think the 75 dollars will still be a bargain but there are those in our club that think that 75 dollars is too much.[&o]
Old 09-30-2005, 09:33 PM
mestuka

In my area of Washington the going price is between $50-100. As said earlier if you wanna play, you gotta pay.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:30 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What are you getting for your money? How large is the club?

Our club dues are $65 / yr, includes grounds maintenance fee to pay for mowing and trash can emptying. Our yearly land lease is about $1500. We have a 1000 foot paved and 1000 foot grass runway, the site used to be an 1/8 mile drag strip in the '70's. With 50 members, we ain't gettin' rich; we also depend on landing fees from fly-ins and 50-50 raffles to bring in some bucks.

Another local club only charges $30/yr, and they have NO expenses, they fly from a sod farm, so no maintenance, but several restrictions relative to the grass, and no facility (shed, tables, etc)

If you have a really nice place, and the club members are pleasant, and the money is well managed, maybe it's not a bad deal.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:35 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

I feel kinda guilty, guys. The club I belong to owns the 58 acres it's located on. There's a 2-story pole barn with the clubhouse upstairs and a kitchen and a seperate mower bay downstairs, a covered pavilion with Tx impound, assembly benches, power & water and a screen kitchen. We have a 550' x 150' well rolled and close cropped runway and we're installing a 70' radius CL circle. Swingsets for the kids, and we're working on getting a bathroom in the clubhouse (right now we just have the outhouse). All this stuff is paid for.

I pay $20.00 annual dues, but the club puts on a big swap shop every year to pay the real expenses, and it's mandatory for members to work it. We have a limited membership of about 80.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:38 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

35 dollars per year for one of the nicest fields in the South East with a 20 dollar initiation fee, 160 members.
Paved runway, kitchen, bathrooms, power, phone, even a windsock.

http://www.gatewayrc.org
Old 10-01-2005, 10:13 AM
kdheath

$50/year. Huge grass runways x2, pavilion, electricity, fridge, grill, porta-potty, flight stations, Tx impound set-up. On rented private farm land that also serves as an airport for the owner's full size planes. Best of all, it's a long way from neighbors. We pay a nominal rent and mow the runways. About 15 minutes from our front door. The county repaved all the access roads last year. A good deal.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:14 PM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

The Reno R/C Club's dues are 75 bucks a year, plus 25 one time fee for a new member. This pays for upkeep on a 650 by 75 feet paved runway plus the rent on the BLM land and maintaining buildings. We coat the field every three years and repave around ten years. We have members who gripe about the dues, yet think nothing of blowing twice that much on a night on the town. There are those who think the damn thing fell out of the sky and shouldn't have to pay any thing to fly on BLM land. Go figure.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:49 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

$40.00/yr. or field isn't the greatest but it works and it's paved. We have 210 members or so.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:27 PM
nickj

Our dues are high, but we DO have an automated on-field weather station that you can call from home to get current winds, gusts, and temps.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:27 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: nickj

Our dues are high, but we DO have an automated on-field weather station that you can call from home to get current winds, gusts, and temps.
That's handy
Old 10-02-2005, 02:34 PM
strulag
My Feedback: (-1)

I don't know about you guys but I do like the well trimmed grass runways a lot better. Especially for the bigger planes you don't get as much rollout. In my opinion the paved runways are a waste of money.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:47 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just joined the Pueblo Club. One time fee+yearly dues was $75. I think it's $50 per year after that.

3 asphalt paved runways running at different angles to each other. They all intersect together in the middle. Nice 150--200' runouts on the ends of the runways--for that botched landing. 1 portalet. Grass??? Not in Pueblo Colorado. More like thistles and sagebrush.

I do like a nice grass runway--but they are a lot of maintenance. You couldn't dump enough water on a grass runway around here to do much more than make mud for 20 minutes at a time. Average humidity around here is about 4--6%. Water evaporates faster than money at the gas pumps does today.

Concrete is nice--but it eats up tires in a hurry.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:35 PM
sbd-5
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

dues are $40 /year field is a sod farm with two picnic tables.runway is cut grass but for large planes the runway could go 1/2 mile byabot 200 yards wide
Old 10-02-2005, 09:52 PM
bbbair

Our club has for the last 15 years charged 25 dollars for annual dues.

With costs of everything going up, especially gas for lawn cutting we raised the dues to 50 dollars.

We have a little under 60 members. We pay for rental of the property, own our porta-potty, picnic tables and work benches plus have a nice open shelter.

I think the 75 dollars would still be a bargain but there are those in our club that think that 25 dollars is too much. [:@]

You just can't please some folks.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:59 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Since about 1998, we've been at $75.00/yr, $65.00 for seniors over 65, and 15 for juniors. We also have partial year discounts for late joiners.
Just a year after we raised the dues, we lost our old field. Somehow, we got fortunate in finding a new field before we had to vacate the old one. Of course, it took a couple years for the dues increase to positively affect the club finances because of the costs involved in setting up a field.
Since we stabilised the finances, we have been able to partly gravel the access road and parking lot, sign a 5 year renewable lease, incorporate, get regular annual rollings, build an equipment storage shed, replace a riding mower, pay for regular mowing, and build a shelter. For next year, we are planning to fill in some pot holes on the paved portion of the access road for the landowner who also lives on the property (over 50 acres total). Of course, since prices continue to go up, such as the port-a-potti going up from 69/mo. to about 72, Ohio deciding to start charging sales tax, and the p-p supplier charging a fuel surcharge now, and the 5%/year contracted rent increase, we will probably need another dues increase within 5 years.
By the way, this new field is at the top of a hill covering a closed fly ash dump, and is boardered by several other dumps of which one is still working, so we aren't likely to get development nearby for a long time. This gets us a runway that's about 100' wide by over 400' long, and probably has a clear area over 1000' deep to fly over