Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Gyro Question..........

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Gyro Question..........

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 05:52 PM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyro Question..........

I am flyin a Dave patrick 120 Bipe ultimate. I want to hover it. What is everyones opinon on gyros for the rudder and elevetor???? Is this cheating and I should learn to do this with out gyros??? I been flyin heli's for years and thought I would try something different. If gyros are the answer, what gyro's are recommend.

Thanks much
Hoss
Old 10-10-2005, 09:22 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Gyro Question..........

Yes, Gyros are considered cheating. Of course, that doesn't stop you from adding one if you really want to
Old 10-10-2005, 11:58 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I use a Gyro on the Rudder of a Decathlon, mainly to help with tracking on takeoff; I turn it on for take off, then off once airborne; I now have been turning it on when I do Loops, Rolls, etc; it has improved the tracking in the air making these maneuvers more smoother/cleaner.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:10 PM
redfox435cat

these kinda of tracking issues are better solve by proper balance. If you model is falling off to one side check the lateral balanceis one wing heavier than the other. also are the elevators even esecially when stressed. do they bend the same when an opset force is added.

to the original post. Again if the model is set up right, hanging on the prop isn't that difficult to master without a gyro. just start out a 50 yards up and practice. If you acually fly helis then learning how to predict what the model is going to do with a given oposite imput shoudn't be difficult to master quickly. As you know on helis the gyro stabalizes the tail rotor for directional stability. on a plane you really can't control that to much. have fun with it
Old 10-29-2005, 09:35 AM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi

I have a sig cub with the usual ground handling problems. a friend in the club loaned me a gyro to try. hooked the thing up with axis on gyro vertical for yaw control. I can rotate the gyro in my hand and it will provide a momentary kick in the rudder. but installed in the plane when I move plane in yaw axis nothing happens. I'm at work and I think it was a hobbico brand. it has a lead which enables you to cut the function on and off but this has absolutely no effect.
any advice?

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer
Old 10-29-2005, 11:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Either you dont have it hooked up right, the gain isn't high enough or your not moving the plane far enough to see the effect.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:55 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi

the gain did not seem to have any effect at all. if I turn the gyro by hand the rudder will kick momentarily, but in the plane it has no effect. does the gyro have to be located at the cg location of the plane for yaw correction?

many thanks and happy flying

pt19 flyer
Old 10-29-2005, 10:07 PM
redfox435cat

by chance is it orientated correctly in the model? try shifting it on differant axises. I've seen this mistake serveral time at our feild