Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Painting Latex/ Modelmasters Paint

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Painting Latex/ Modelmasters Paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 11:54 PM
Canuck1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Latex/ Modelmasters Paint

This is a question regarding the mixing of Latex, and ModelMasters paints. I am planning on finishing my plane with latex, then adding some cam colours and other various markings using modelmasters paint. I have used Modelmasters before over Chevron perfect paint with good results. I was wondering if anyone has tried modelmasters paints over latex before.

Craig.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Painting Latex/ Modelmasters Paint

You should not have any problems PROVIDED the latex has cured. I have not found (yet ) anything that cured latex will not accept over it. I have used enamels, lacquers and epoxy paints over latex and have had no problems.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Canuck1

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that it should be good. I will definately do a sample piece prior. How long do you recommend the latex cure for. I have heard that it takes several months for latex to cure?

Craig.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:30 PM
rcmiket

What are you all using for a clear coat since the Model Master's isn't fuelproof?
Thanks Mike
Old 10-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Canuck1

I have used Topflite clearcoat before over modelmasters with good results. However the area's that were painted with modelmasters were roundels and markings. I have never used it in very large quantities, which I am planning for my next project.

Craig.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flat latex takes ABOUT 10 days to cure. Semi-gloss and gloss latex take about 20 days to cure.

How I check to see if the latex is cured is press my finger firmly on a hard spot (I use the cowl area ). If a fingerprint remains, the paint is not cured. Don't worry about the fingerprint, it will disappear in a day or two.

For clear coating for glow fuel:

Water base polyurethane is fuel resistant after 6 or 7 days. As long as you don't let the residue sit for more than 3 - 4 hours before cleaning you should be OK. Water base poly does not yellow with age.

Oil base polyurethane is fuel proof, however, it will yellow with age. This is quite noticeable on light colors and normally takes about 6 months before the yellowing begins.

Lusterkote clear. Provides a fuel proof clear coat, however, Lusterkote is well known for "spitting".

Ultracote clear. Provides a fuel proof clear coat and, IMHO, sprays and "lays" substantially better than Lusterkote.

Clear ACRYLIC enamel should be fuel proof. To be certain, I suggest doing a test panel first. All the colors in acrylic enamel (and acrylic lacquer) I have used have been fuel proof. What you do need to be aware of what type of paint you are using for trim. You can use enamel over lacquer, but not the other way around.