Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Dave Brown Nose Gear Retract Problem Solved

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Dave Brown Nose Gear Retract Problem Solved

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 05:36 PM
Topgun2mo
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dave Brown Nose Gear Retract Problem Solved

The Dave Brown nose gear caused me to lose control of my plane on takeoff yesterday. It seems that there is only a friction fit of the steering arm to nose gear strut and while taking off, the plane hit an irregularity on the runway (grass surface) and the nose wheel turned hard left and was caught by the safety net. Unfortunatly the wing was damaged by one of the posts supporting the net. Lucky there was no pilot by that pilot's station.

Does anyone have any experience with this retract? Is this friction fit normal? Anyone else with any problems or solutions?

Thanks

Mike
Old 11-04-2002, 05:51 AM
Frazzy
My Feedback: (1)

You say there was only a friction fit. Do you mean there is not even a set screw or do you mean just a set screw on the control arm? Usually I take my dremel with a grinder wheel and make a flat spot on the gear wire so the set screw has something to bite into. Also, on sport planes out here where I fly of of rough buffalo grass, I have found that the Fults dual strut nosegear really takes that problem away. Hope this helps a little bit.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:42 PM
Topgun2mo
My Feedback: (45)

The wheel collar that tightens onto the strut is machined and staked into the hole on the sheet metal steering arm. Per Dave Brown's suggestion, I disassembled the collar/steering arm, prepared the surfaces and silver soldered it together. I highly recommend this mod to anyone installing this nose retract unit!!! It could save alot of grief later down the runway!

Mike