Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Balsaloc

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 02:04 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Balsaloc

Hello; I am building a Morris Gee whiz Bee, I have wasted nearly 2 full rolls of 21st Century white covering trying to get it to stick. I have 2 old bottles of balsaloc that I haven't used since the 90s'. I tried to soften the balsaloc by putting a bit of water in the jar and turning it upside down, after shaking it thoroughly. After a week, it seems that the water hasn't combined with the balsaloc, and thinned it down. Is there any other thing I can use to re-claim this old balsaloc? Or are there any secrets with this 21st Century stuff?

I cut the piece then attach the edges with an iron, then when I go to shrink it, the edges pull away. Is my iron not hot enough? I use the coverite thermometer and have tried 175 degrees then I tried 225 degrees to tack it down. Same thing, it pulls the edges off no matter what I try.

Another thing I noticed was when I was covering the flying surfaces, I can do a good job on it, but when I let it sit for a few hours, or overnight the sags return. I am a little afraid to re-shrink it for fear of it pulling off again.

Shaould I just throw the coverite away and go buy some ultracote?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:18 PM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Balsaloc

There is a fabric formula of Balsarite sold by the Coverite (21st Century) people that might be good to use. I don't know anything about balsaloc so I have no idea if it is supposed to mix with water. Balsarite is solvent based and thins with lacquer thinner.

When shrinking fabric you have to keep the heat away from the seams to prevent lifting. Not sure what to do about the sags other than keep shrinking.

<< I wrote this assuming 21st Century Fabric. I just remembered they also have film covering>>

There is also a film formula of Balsarite. I have mostly used Ultracoat and it seems to work about the same with or without the Balsarite. If I get the edges too hot they will lift and usually will not stick back down.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:23 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Balsaloc is just plain white glue tinned with water...
Try iron it on instead! It seems as you just use too little heat. Personally I never use a thermometer...
I use Oracover whenever possible and always iron it down.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74448.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	351856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30101.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	351857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15773.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	351858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22247.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	351859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86901.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	351860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46713.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	351861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98633.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	351862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27114.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	351863  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34316.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	351864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79834.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	351865  
Old 11-11-2005, 02:41 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; thanks for all the replys, wow those covering pix are great. I have a DC3 too that I went all out on, but I think that you did a fantastic job. I have noticed that the ultra cote that we are getting now has "Oracover" stamped on the edges. I was wondering if perhaps there is a "use by" date on 21st century covering. It seems that, no matter what I try, I can't get it to work for me. It's not inexperience, as I have built more then 20 kits and 5 or 6 scratch built planes, and had no trouble covering any of them. I used "Tyvek" on my scratch built Speedy Bee. I thinned white carpenter's glue and painted it on, then cut and attached the Tyvek just like it was any other covering, then went over it with a heat gun to tighten it up.

I got the balsaloc to thin down by stirring it up and putting it in the microwave oven for 12 seconds, then stirring it again.