Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Substitute Lithuim Poly for NiMH???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Substitute Lithuim Poly for NiMH???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 09:57 PM
nx74205

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Substitute Lithuim Poly for NiMH???

I have a B-52 airplane kit from NQD, ready to fly. Everything came in one kit. The 9.6 Volt 600 mAh NiMH battery pack that came with the plane worked at first. However, now when discharging it, it generates so much heat that it melted its own protective covering. I no longer feel it is safe to use this battery. It no longer charge properly.

Would it be safe to use a 7.4 volt 2 cell 1500 mAhr Lithium Polymer instead of the NiMH????

With a few pieces of scrap wire I tested the Li-Po battery and it worked. My concern is the electronic speed control that was pre-assembled in the airplane being able to handle a Li-Po battery.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:16 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Substitute Lithuim Poly for NiMH???

ESC are normally rated by amps. As long as you do not exceed the amount it is rated for the "magic smoke" will not escape.

The concern is going to be the extra voltage to the motors. INITIALLY, the motors will hold up to the additional voltage. However, it is going to shorten the life of the motor - how much is hard to say.

Perhaps someone with more experience with electrics can tell you how much the motor life will be shortened.