Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Coverite vs Ultracote vs Monokote

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Coverite vs Ultracote vs Monokote

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 08:16 AM
surf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coverite vs Ultracote vs Monokote

I use to use nothing but Monokote until I tried Ultracote. Boy what a difference, I use to struggle with Monokote, but with Ultracote, no more wrinkles! There is definitely a weight difference between the two.

How is Coverite? The reason I ask is that there is never the paint color I want to match the covering. I will select the covering scheme only to discover that there is not matching paint. So I end up selecting a paint and the covering to match.

Any suggestions? What is your favorite covering and why? Is there alternatives?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2005, 11:09 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Coverite vs Ultracote vs Monokote

Hi!
I think Oratex is best and next comes Solartex when fabrics are concerned. Coverite...is it still available?
Not over here in Sweden since many, many years.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 11-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Monocote and Ultracote are films while Coverrite is a fabric so not really comparable. As far as fabrics go, I find that any of the ..tex's are superior to Coverite; i.e. Solartex, Worldtex, Colortex etc. All the ...tex's are the same except for colors each is available in.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:44 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that Ultracote is easier to work with, but I am disappointed with its longevity. I've found that it tends to de-laminate -- the clear top-film unsticks from the coloured substrate in places. Another problem with Ultracote is that bacteria can eat it if you leave a thin film of castor goo on the surface (monokote seems to be bacteria-proof).
Old 11-27-2005, 08:13 PM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just looking for any respondent who has had excellent success in painting iron on coverings such as Monokote, Ultracote etc.

Have a jet project where applying Monokote over an already covered area concerns me due to my lack of experience with all the curves on the wingtips.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Regards,
Eric
www.jetartes.com
Old 11-28-2005, 11:44 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi! Al the plastic films or fabrics can be painted as long as you know what paint to use!
As for Monokote and Ultracote these are tough to paint on because most paints will just chip away (2 part Automotive acrylics like Sikkens, PGP, Glasurite, Herbert's and so on and also 1 part syntetic paint and all polyurethanes you buy at hobbyshops)

Tthe only paint that is possible to paint on plastic films are 2 part polyuretane boat paint!
One brand I have used is "International" and it stucks like glue to all plastic coverings.
Oratex and all other tex materials can of course be painted with whatever paint you like. Most paints sticks to it.

I used Sikkens Autocryl 2 part laquer for trim on my Oracover clad DC-3 fuselage and the blue paint didn't adhere to well...[]but I did not want to buy any more paint so just stuck with what I had. Have to be carefull how I handle it

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58916.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	361617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31790.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	361618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89583.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	361619  
Old 09-03-2014, 03:50 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jan,

I know this is an old thread, but I just seen yopur model.

You could have used CFC Graphics for all the blue and lettering. Next time?
Old 09-03-2014, 04:30 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by Avaiojet

You could have used CFC Graphics for all the blue and lettering. Next time?
Isn't that you ? If so, you should be up front, and say so.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tom, it is him and he did have to search around a lot to find an old thread to post an advertisement but whatever floats your boat, worked for him. It's still a good idea even if a bit of shameless self promoting. Jan could have also just scuffed up the covering with a scotch bright to get the paint to stick. Something we started doing after Jan built his nice twin DC.
You know how much I like to paint and my answer to the problem was just buying TEX covering in the colors I wanted, lazy but it worked for me.
Sense 2005 we also have new coverings to choose from, as of last year my new favorite is China Cote from Hobby King. I even like it better then Ultra or Ora as Jan called it. Ora in Europe and Ultra in the states. Still hard to beat a TEX though.
As for matching paints, well, things haven't gotten any better over the years.
Originally Posted by TomCrump
Isn't that you ? If so, you should be up front, and say so.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:36 PM
TomCrump

Locating matching paint is why I have gone to painting the entire model, Gene. There's no color match, then.

I'm lucky, in that I enjoy the painting process. I just started a 102" model that is fully sheeted, which requires that the entire airframe be glassed, primed and painted.

It's all pure enjoyment for me.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glassing yes, painting, not so much!!!!
Old 09-04-2014, 02:44 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by surf
I use to use nothing but Monokote until I tried Ultracote. Boy what a difference, I use to struggle with Monokote, but with Ultracote, no more wrinkles! There is definitely a weight difference between the two.

How is Coverite? The reason I ask is that there is never the paint color I want to match the covering. I will select the covering scheme only to discover that there is not matching paint. So I end up selecting a paint and the covering to match.

Any suggestions? What is your favorite covering and why? Is there alternatives?

Thanks
I use Monokote or Stits and can always get a color match using a base coat clear coat system.

Bob